A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D4 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 22nd March 2018, 09:25 AM

Default Photos of new painted callipers and colour changed alloys

Hi guys, we all love to see photos so I thought I’d post a few photos of the brilliant work done by Steve at xpressalloys.com

Steve came to me so there was no need to leave my Audi for days on end. He has a large wheel repair workshop and spray booth in the back of his truck.

He operates across Dorset and charges £120 to paint all 4 calipers plus £8 for the heat / oil / weather resistant calliper stickers. I also had my 19” OEM alloys colour changed from silver to gloss black. For this Steve charged £60 per alloy wheel. The whole process took Steve 1 long day as he said the intricate pattern on the alloys make them difficult to spray. . Very reasonable prices and I’m over the moon with the results. I have no link with Steve and this is the first time I’ve used him but definitely recommended men’s him and his work.

I’ve ordered new black Centre caps but so many people have said they actually prefer the silver centre cap on the gloss black alloys. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64FF034D-D935-4876-B0FE-5188165092D8.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	732.7 KB
ID:	18207   Click image for larger version

Name:	AEF24671-011F-4618-8E12-094EEA7B4124.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	500.0 KB
ID:	18208   Click image for larger version

Name:	6085D2D6-51D5-4CCA-8532-F44F9067D70F.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	678.9 KB
ID:	18209   Click image for larger version

Name:	0964E540-B4E1-404A-A464-2F4010835E86.png
Views:	611
Size:	8.43 MB
ID:	18210   Click image for larger version

Name:	6B2487B5-E9B8-46FB-89FA-A597C19A2907.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	504.0 KB
ID:	18211   Click image for larger version

Name:	01A33C52-D531-4031-AE9D-649B6B8CC30F.png
Views:	570
Size:	8.35 MB
ID:	18212   Click image for larger version

Name:	458D8DCE-5837-4ADD-876A-F18E810FABE8.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	556.8 KB
ID:	18214   Click image for larger version

Name:	28C95C01-8DBD-4B26-9756-DC505D65AB1C.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	611.0 KB
ID:	18215  
Attached Files
File Type: mov 411F95F4-A57B-444B-8ECD-C03553A5C298.MOV (19.79 MB, 621 views)

2014 A8 D4 (4H) 3.0 TDi - Phantom Black Pearl / 21” S8 PLUS Alloys / Velvet Beige & Moor Brown Extended Leather Package / Alcantara Package / Comfort Seats With Heating, Cooling and 9 Stage Massage Function / Head Up Display / Adaptive Cruise Control with Pre-Sense Front / Active Lane Assist / Parking System Advanced 360 with Top View / Mobile Telephone High with Audi Connect / Google Maps Navigation / Cooled Glove Box / Twin 10” HD Rear Seat Entertainment System / WiFi / BOSE Surround Sound / Powered Soft Close Doors and Boot

Last edited by BigAl5; 22nd March 2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl5 View Post
I’ve ordered new black Centre caps but so many people have said they actually prefer the silver centre cap on the gloss black alloys. What do you think?
If it was me, I would try and get the centre caps chromed if possible, to match the chrome around the windows and door handles, or painted the same colour as the silver strip along the side of the car.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:01 PM

Hi Steamship. Someone else also suggested that. I will look into cost. From your reply it appears that you prefer the look of the silver centre cap to the black ones. Here are the black ones that I’ve got on order to try. They do have little chrome circles at each end of the spoke, as do the current silver centre caps. The existing ones are the Audi silver colour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2917D93F-CA71-4691-BADB-A2031D40F676.jpeg
Views:	492
Size:	473.1 KB
ID:	18227  

2014 A8 D4 (4H) 3.0 TDi - Phantom Black Pearl / 21” S8 PLUS Alloys / Velvet Beige & Moor Brown Extended Leather Package / Alcantara Package / Comfort Seats With Heating, Cooling and 9 Stage Massage Function / Head Up Display / Adaptive Cruise Control with Pre-Sense Front / Active Lane Assist / Parking System Advanced 360 with Top View / Mobile Telephone High with Audi Connect / Google Maps Navigation / Cooled Glove Box / Twin 10” HD Rear Seat Entertainment System / WiFi / BOSE Surround Sound / Powered Soft Close Doors and Boot

Last edited by BigAl5; 22nd March 2018 at 11:07 PM.
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:16 PM

Looks good although I've never been a fan of black alloys myself.

My latest car has the 21" 5-Spoke Rotor alloys in Titanium which seems a good match to the Monsoon Grey Pearl paintwork to my admittedly colour-blind eyes and I was thinking of having my callipers painted but probably a lower key silver/gray colour.

I wonde how they would stand up to the usual power washers at local car washes?

I'm in Oxfordshire so will start looking to see what/who might be available to paint them unless anyone here has any recommendations?

Don't mind travelling to get a good job done...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:59 PM

Did he remove the Calipers to paint? Also I would probably get the hub coloured some sort of grey. Not a fan of black alloys myself. Shame he is in Dorset.

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 23rd March 2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-M3 View Post
Did he remove the Calipers to paint? Also I would probably get the hub coloured some sort of grey. Not a fan of black alloys myself. Shame he is in Dorset.
Yeah he removed calipers. What appealed to me was the fact he came to my home to do the work. Everyone else I spoke to wanted me to leave the car with them for up to a week. That’s a real inconvenience to lose my A8 for that length of time.

Old 23rd March 2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-M3 View Post
To be honest, I was never a fan of black alloys until I stumbled across a YouTube video of an identical car, with identical alloys that had been colour changed to gloss black. The aim was always to keep these black ones as a winter set as I’m in the process of looking for some silver 20” alloys for summer use. That said, the red calipers look the best when set against black alloys.

Have you seen the very dark grey used on the RS models callipers? That’s a nice discreet grey. Steve can colour match these exactly for your car and put any logo you want on the callipers. I had my callipers done specifically in the Audi corporate Red colour which is noticeablely different to the usual super bright red callipers you see on so many cars these days.

Last edited by BigAl5; 23rd March 2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 23rd March 2018, 11:07 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

You can buy chrome-effect spray paint, which is surprisingly good
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 23rd March 2018, 11:30 PM

Have you seen the very dark grey used on the RS models callipers? That’s a nice discreet grey. Steve can colour match these exactly for your car and put any logo you want on the callipers. I had my callipers done specifically in the Audi corporate Red colour which is noticeablely different to the usual super bright red callipers you see on so many cars these days.[/quote]

If the guy comes to London then maybe... I guess you have to have the right alloys also to show off the calipers.
I would now clean the alloys and calipers and put few coats of alloy sealant. Raceglaze does a good one.

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 26th March 2018, 11:41 PM

I would now clean the alloys and calipers and put few coats of alloy sealant. Raceglaze does a good one.[/quote]

Cheers mate, I’ll try that