A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Generic A8 / S8 forums > A8 / S8 Generic Posts

A8 / S8 Generic Posts All other useful info

Old 8th May 2018, 04:41 PM

Default Are all a8's all aluminium??

Am I right in thinking that all versions of the A8 are entirely made of aluminium? I cant find a definitive answer on the tinternet. Considering a D3 to replace my D2 sport but considering some of the water ingress problems I've had I'm keen to remain with an aluminium body.
Old 8th May 2018, 04:57 PM

Default All A8 are aluminium

Hi,

Yes they are. Some interesting articles on internet about construction, especially the changes and simplification from D2 to D3. I had no water ingress issues with my D3 S8 over more than 6 years and 100,000 miles.

Cheers

Richardracer
2006 Audi S8 V10 Now Sold. Akoya Silver with black/grey leather, standard 20" wheels, hybrid TV, Bang & Olufssen audio, Heated seats front and rear, Dension ipod integration, DAB radio, keyless entry, rear electric blind, bluetooth connection to Apple iphone6S. Started at 60,000 miles end April 12. Now 171,500 miles as at Oct 2017. Now sold to fellow forum member.
Old 8th May 2018, 06:14 PM

D5 brings some steel back..... I think?
Old 8th May 2018, 06:19 PM

Only water ingress problem for me on my D3 has been the rear nearside inner light.
This shows in two ways:-
  1. Occasionally on applying the brake we get a Brake Light Blown fault.
  2. Looking closely at the rear offside lights when locking/unlocking the tail light LEDs on both units flash very dimly for a few seconds.
Taking the offending light unit out, drying it thoroughly resolves the problem until a jetwash hits it, or some very heavy rain. I have vaselined the rubber seal but I think the main problem is the cracks in the reverse light lens area. I was hoping that the dual plastic there would stop water getting in, but maybe not.
I'll have to find time to have another go at it.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 8th May 2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Only water ingress problem for me on my D3 has been the rear nearside inner light.
This shows in two ways:-
  1. Occasionally on applying the brake we get a Brake Light Blown fault.
  2. Looking closely at the rear offside lights when locking/unlocking the tail light LEDs on both units flash very dimly for a few seconds.
Taking the offending light unit out, drying it thoroughly resolves the problem until a jetwash hits it, or some very heavy rain. I have vaselined the rubber seal but I think the main problem is the cracks in the reverse light lens area. I was hoping that the dual plastic there would stop water getting in, but maybe not.
I'll have to find time to have another go at it.
My reverse lights are suffering with condensation too. Why only the reverse lights section

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub