A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 12th March 2012, 12:22 PM

Default Battery Warning Light on dash.

Just today I've had the battery light up on the dash-no other warnings and the MMI battery meter is at 100%.

HOWEVER, the LIFT and DYNAMIC functions are greyed out on the suspension settings and car seems to drive a little stiff.

Key out, shut down, restart and everything is fine, then the light might come back on????? Very intermittant. Is there anyone local to me (Sevenoaks/Kent) who wouldn't mind plugging Audrey into their VCDS. I'm absolutely skint and dreading this outcome....... I am seriously considering selling the ****ing car. I love her to bits but I'm sick & tired of electrical issues.

Please help me save Audrey, I don't want to be without my '8, but I am loosing patience now

Bex

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 12th March 2012, 02:50 PM

Just to add, it seems to be touching the throttle which brings the battery icon up on the dash. There are no other warning lights, and the way the car is behaving, I think maybe the suspension options being blanked out intermittently are not a cause, but subsequent of the battery light issue. Also the parking sensors are being temperamental.
Bex

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 12th March 2012, 02:56 PM

Is your battery good?

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 12th March 2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47p2 View Post
Is your battery good?
Yes only 13months old. OEM supplied and fitted.

After my last post, I popped to a friends garage for him to plug his snap-on tool into it....needless to say it wasn't overly helpful.

What it did say though that there was 14.5v at the front and 12v at the back...so, ordered a new battery control module ecu thingy from A8 Parts...fingers crossed it'll be with me asap and will rectify the issue.

Car now totally dead-won't start as the battery isn't being charged. <10% on the meter.

Here's to hoping it's the ECU not the alternator.....knowing me..it'll be both!

Old 12th March 2012, 05:38 PM

14.5V at the front should mean that alternator is working.

Should have checked all the connections specially ground connections before ordering new battery ECU

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 12th March 2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
14.5V at the front should mean that alternator is working.

Should have checked all the connections specially ground connections before ordering new battery ECU
Unfortunately didn't have the ramp space-nor the time, had to think/act fast so late on in the afternoon-it's my chauffeur car

I now have to let my biggest customer down (Barclays Bank) for the next 2 days = not cool! lol

I am hoping that with the voltage at the front it means the alternator is working. .

Old 12th March 2012, 05:54 PM

As above.. could be a dodgy earth terminal, but could also be a dead management unit as this will randomly turn stuff on and off on its way out if it's failing.

I know.. I know..

Old 12th March 2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
could also be a dead management unit as this will randomly turn stuff on and off on its way out if it's failing.
This is exactly what was going on, both the suspension settings were being greyed out and the parking sensors / display wasn't working either. Didn't try anything else as was just driving normally, (ipod, radio and bluetooth phone connection were all fine afaik)

Fingers crossed A8 parts get this ecu thingy to me speedily

Old 12th March 2012, 07:45 PM

Also, if it was the alternator, I think you would get an "Alternator Workshop!" message on the centre DIS. I hope it is that stupid battery manager. Just like the Managers at my work, they are expensive, cause all the problems are they are superfluous.
Old 12th March 2012, 08:26 PM

I sure do hope so-my biggest most important account customer depends on it. Here's to a little faith