A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Lights

D4 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 4th January 2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondie View Post
Hi Glyn,

My car is a MY2011 so your comments would seem to confirm that I am out of luck on the adaptive functionality. Makes me wonder why somebody would option them for £2k and lose the proper adaptive functionality of the Xenons, seems like you pay more for less to me.

Cheers,
Simon
Agreed, I was actively looking for a car without LED. I suspect that it wasn't very clear when optioning them new
Old 7th January 2016, 11:16 AM

I have had both types on the Audi and a Merc I had in between and I genuinely prefer the LED's they are so much brighter imho nice clean white light which works better in rain and fog in particular. The LEDs have a rain/fog setting on them which lowers and widens the pattern so works well.
I do fancy these matrix jobs and have been thinking of a change this year If funds allow I have been considering the latest S8's
It looks a cracking bit of kit although the V8 D offers such good value and on paper doesn't look lacking.
Cheers Glyn
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012
Old 8th January 2016, 07:43 PM

Search for brochures on the other thread led me to these descriptions for the various options.

Quote:
Xenon Adaptive light and high-beam assist.

Includes swivelling headlights for improved illumination of a winding road, and dynamic cornering light function
which pivots the headlights based on the movement of the steering wheel (operational between speeds of approximately
6mph and 68mph). Turning light function is activated when indicator is switched on (up to speeds of 45mph). The
headlights have three different light distribution modes: town light, motorway light, or country light, which are adjusted
according to speed or via navigation route data. Additional functionality via navigation based vehicle support includes
junction light, which provides a wide front light setting, as well as travel mode, which switches between right and
left-hand drive modes assisted by GPS data. High-beam assist automatically adjusts headlights from high-beam to
dipped-beam when another vehicle is approaching or when other ambient lighting is detected (i.e. street lights) by a
camera on the interior mirror.
Quote:
All-LED headlights including high-beam assist (from 2010 brochure).

LEDs for all front lighting functions. Total of 54 LED light sources in each headlight provide lower energy consumption
and enhanced contrast with a colour similar to daylight. Also includes high-beam assist which automatically adjusts
headlights from high-beam to dipped-beam when another vehicle is approaching
Quote:
All-LED headlights including high-beam assist (From 2013 brochure).

LEDs for all front lighting functions. LED technology provides lower energy consumption and enhanced contrast with a
colour similar to daylight, for increased safety and good recognition by other road users. Includes all-weather light
function to reduce the risk of the driver being dazzled when visibility is poor (in fog, rain or snow), turning light function
which is activated when indicator is switched on (up to speeds of 45mph), and an additional motorway light which
automatically increases headlight range at speeds above approximately 68mph. Also includes high-beam assist which
automatically adjusts headlights from high-beam to dipped-beam when another vehicle is approaching or when other
ambient lighting is detected (i.e. street lights) by a camera on the interior mirror.
Quote:
Audi Matrix LED headlights (From 2015 brochure).

A direct evolution of Audi’s LED headlights, Audi’s Matrix technology provides maximum and precise illumination at all
times without dazzling other road users. The vehicle uses information obtained from multiple sources including the
interior mirror camera and navigation system to identify the appropriate lighting required; using GPS data the vehicle
will use high beam, but will automatically switch to dipped lighting when entering built up areas; whilst high beam is
in use, and oncoming traffic is detected, the Matrix beam dips or fully extinguishes individual lighting diodes. Matrix beam
is capable of establishing and tracking multiple road users and illuminating the appropriate corridor(s) of light either side
of them to maintain maximum visibility of the road and surrounding environment without causing disruption to others.
With Audi Matrix LED headlights, both the front and rear indicators dynamically sweep up from inside to out within 0.15
seconds – clearly identifying not only that the vehicle is turning, but in which direction the driver is going – increasing
road safety as it is easier for other road users to determine which way cars are moving in a shorter amount of time
Technology moves on, but it wasn't until the Matrix LED's that they matched a lot of the "functionality" of the Xenons with LED, the Xenons were then discontinued.

Old 9th January 2016, 09:30 PM

This is the description in the brochure that came with the car:

LEDs for all front lighting functions. Total of 54 LED light sources in each headlight provide lower energy consumption
and enhanced contrast with a colour similar to daylight. Also includes high-beam assist which automatically adjusts
headlights from high-beam to dipped-beam when another vehicle is approaching

Odd thing is I have the adaptive option in the MMI in addition to high beam assist