A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Lights

D4 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 15th September 2013, 06:51 PM

Default D4 Headlamp unit

Ok, I'm new to the forum, bought a D4 last week.

I've just found out about the novel automatic transmission selector in a rather expensive way. Put the car in park (so I thought) hopped out to shut a gate. Turned around and my new A8 D4 (11 plate) was reversing on its own. eeek ...

I've owned several automatic cars, Toyota, Several Skoda's, two BMW 7 series, two Volvo XC90's, VW tiguan and an Audi 100. Never ever has this happened to me. With every other automatic car you have a detent system and postive position selector. With the Audi D4 you do not you sort of push it around and it picks a gear. So a word of warning, be very careful with this.

I managed to stop it before it did some serious damage to the environment or my neighbours house, but not before it removed a fence post, scraped a bit of paint and worse of all .. cracked my passengers head lamp unit. It has about a half inch crack in the bottom of the unit.

Amazingly it hasn't actually dented any thing, but I suspect the headlamp unit is going to really hurt financially. All the lights work fine and its just the surface of unit that has the crack.

So any suggestions for sorting the headlamp unit?
Old 15th September 2013, 07:07 PM

Depends how long you intend to keep and if it's just a surface crack or going to let water in over time?

A standard gas discharge unit is about £650, cornering light £730, LED £1640!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 15th September 2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Depends how long you intend to keep and if it's just a surface crack or going to let water in over time?

I've just bought it, so maybe three years. All the lights are fine no cracks. Its the unit body itself that's cracked.

(Sorry about the double post, tried to edit this post, but was denied. Thought my original post didn't take, tried it again and ended up with two!).
Old 15th September 2013, 07:24 PM

I guess it also depends where the crack is and whether it's distorting or interfering with the dipped or main beam.
I'd probably start by carefully going over the crack with transparent nail varnish or car topcoat lacquer to try and seal it against water ingress and make it less visible, then see how bad it looks and how well it works.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th September 2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I guess it also depends where the crack is and whether it's distorting or interfering with the dipped or main beam.
I'd probably start by carefully going over the crack with transparent nail varnish or car topcoat lacquer to try and seal it against water ingress and make it less visible, then see how bad it looks and how well it works.
Its definately out of any beams .. on the side of the unit.
Old 15th September 2013, 07:44 PM

I've added a picture of it to a public gallery on my profile - Now attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130915_193004[1].jpg
Views:	673
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	6668  
Old 15th September 2013, 07:45 PM

Looks "hideable". Of course you'll still know it's there.....
You know you can upload pictures directly into a post - use "Manage Attachments".
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th September 2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Of course you'll still know it's there.....
I will definately replace the unit. Love the car. I was after a Phaeton, but proved impossible to test drive one in my local area. VW dealer suggested I try an A8. So I did and bought it. I've done a couple of 160 mile trips in it so far, very nice indeed.
Old 15th September 2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post

Thanks for the prices, but how much for the actual unit itself with no lights?

Spied this guy on e-bay.. any views? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A2-A3...-/281162646377

Also found a unit for £49, but it has scratch on the front, maybe if I buy the scrached unit and send it to him?
Old 15th September 2013, 09:26 PM

Unfortunately I don't think you can buy just the front cover

Have attached a pdf of the page from Etka for reference
Attached Files
File Type: pdf D4 headlight.pdf (81.5 KB, 724 views)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC