A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Motormouth

Motormouth Everything, and anything else motoring related that just doesnt belong anywhere else

Old 25th October 2018, 06:59 PM

I am currently with rescuemycar on a vehicle based policy for each car, however looking at changing to these when renewal is due

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

their personal cover is cheaper than rescuemycar and includes spouse free of charge, lot's of good feedback on them on various other forums too. They don't have a vehicle age limit either, I phoned them to ask

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 25th October 2018, 11:16 PM

Dont you lot still have AA or RAC any more?

Some of the car brands and insurers down here are offering roadside assist now on new cars, but a couple of owners down the line and its RACV almost universally fir breakdown cover (or NRMA in NSW).

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 26th October 2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
Dont you lot still have AA or RAC any more?
Indeed we do but due to buyouts of one sort and another they are more into making money than serving customers.

Also many "mainstream" suppliers are not interested in older vehicles, which is why I asked.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 26th October 2018, 09:12 AM

Hmm I have AA cover. It never occurred to check if there's an age limit since they cover me, not specific cars.
Old 26th October 2018, 10:08 AM

With mine (Privilege) it's far from obvious when taking out cover. Ours is a combination of specific car (Volvo, any driver, as we add our family onto it at times) and personal cover (both of us) when travelling in (or driving) any car.

The ONLY place I've seen it drawn attention to this time is in the covering letter sent with the renewal schedule, though I was already aware of it (not sure how). I guess it's buried in the full policy somewhere!

The letter specifies "under 16 years old and is privately registered and being used in the UK".

Edit:
The policy states the same thing but in a separate sentence says:
"What's not covered: Journeys in vehicles that are more than 15 years old"
This is confusing as "old" is not defined, though I'm assuming time since first registration not build date as they wouldn't know that.
And what happens in the 1 year period from the cars 15th anniversary to it's 16th?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 26th October 2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 26th October 2018, 10:15 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I'm with the RAC, which covers me personally for any car I'm travelling in. I've been with the RAC for probably 15 years or more. I was with the AA for years before that but they let me down on a number of occasions, one time leaving me stranded for almost the entire day. The RAC have never let me down but I do have very comprehensive cover (home start, free hire car, onward travel, hotel accommodation, etc), which costs about £260 per year.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 26th October 2018, 02:14 PM

Default RAC or not

Like Mark, I've been with RAC for many years, with some real highs and lows - this year's examples being as follows:

1) The low (May): failing to arrive after more than 2 and a half hours (they'd quoted 45 minutes... ) , leaving me stranded in a dodgy part of Wolverhampton at 11.30pm.

2) The high (September): arriving on time, taking a practical approach to getting me going again, involving driving another 30 miles to get hold of a replacement wheel and tyre for me and then bringing it back to refit it, saving me an unscheduled overnight stop and loss of a days work.

They cover me for all my cars for unlimited fixes (at home and on the road) for ~£90, which I think is good value: I think I may also have some sort of breakdown cover with my bank, but haven't used that...

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 26th October 2018, 03:12 PM

I have breakdown cover included with my car insurance, but no idea who it is with.

Was surprised by the cost differences that Mark and Stephen posted, but then I suppose it all depends on what options you tick. I was curious about the RAC of ~£90 so went onto their site to check it out. Best I could manage with the options was around £120. The obvious question to Mark and Stephen then, is do you get some sort of loyalty/no claims discount with the RAC?

... and yes, I must check to see exactly what my cover provides.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 26th October 2018, 03:44 PM

I was with the RAC for years until I realised they were ripping me off on renewals so went to the AA instead. I have 'get me home from wherever I am' cover which is about £100 a year. I don't need home start or all the other shenanigans
Old 26th October 2018, 04:14 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
The obvious question to Mark and Stephen then, is do you get some sort of loyalty/no claims discount with the RAC?
I'm probably doing everything wrong, in that I've always just let it roll over, year after year. I'm no doubt getting a little ripped off, but they've never let me down and I don't mind paying more for good service. I could probably get it cheaper if I phone around or threaten to leave but it could end up costing me more in lost time spent on the phone than I might otherwise save. I think it was cheaper for me last year, but I had to call them out recently when my (brand new OE) alternator died.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 26th October 2018 at 04:17 PM.