A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 24th February 2022, 03:46 PM

Silly question, never used Febi brake discs on a car, how well do they fair? I'm looking for a set of discs and pads for a friend on his BMW (sorry) but Brembos which I usually fit on most cars are very expensive
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 24th February 2022, 06:39 PM

Default febi-bilstein i think, one of the biggest companys THYSSENKRUPP

ive used them before , spot on
get a price from thingy in germany cant remember

Last edited by roberto; 24th February 2022 at 06:41 PM.
Old 24th February 2022, 09:07 PM

I haven't used them before, but choices are very limited for the D2 S8 these days and these were the best standard option. The quality looks very good tbh - they are coated on the hub and in the vents so hopefully shouldn't go rusty, although no coating on the back. The friction surface is nicely ground so should bed the pads in quickly. I always use TRW pads in the Brembo calipers as for some reason they are the only pads I've found which actually fit the caliper. Every other brand I've tried is too large and needs the edges grinding down, but the TRWs go straight in, no messing.

Mudflap scar on the lower trim:

Gone

New AC drier

Front panel on, fluids in, and running again

The engine was very reluctant to start since the fuel rail and injectors were completely dry, and I think the injectors might have been a little sticky from lack of use (these are from my grey S8's original engine). It refused to start at all for a while, behaving as if there was no fuel pressure, then started up on 3 cylinders, then the others came to life as the engine warmed up. Once it was up to temperature it was running just fine, but it did have me worried for a while! Lesson learned - get the injectors cleaned if they have been sitting around for a long time.

Slightly short on pics today as I've been rushing to get the FE moveable as a friend's TT's clutch died the other day I have to get the FE off the lift so I can fix the TT which is not going to be a pleasant job - the 1.8T engine is so crammed in to the tiny engine bay and has a ludicrous amount of plumbing. The D2 V8 is a joy to work on by comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	489.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	27943   Click image for larger version

Name:	490.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	27944   Click image for larger version

Name:	491.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	27945   Click image for larger version

Name:	492.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	27946  
Old 25th February 2022, 08:55 PM

Good luck with the TT…….. Hateful things to work on in the engine bay at least. Not done a clutch, but I really didn’t enjoy doing the timing belt on my wife’s Mk1 2wd.

Nick

PS. I invested in one of those cheaply Chinese injector cleaner/testers. For a couple of hundred quid it’s really not bad.
Old 26th February 2022, 07:53 AM

7 hours in and I haven't even got the gearbox off yet I did the belt on this one and that was unpleasant, but this job may well be the worst thing I have ever tackled. There's nothing on a D2 which even comes close.
Old 26th February 2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
7 hours in and I haven't even got the gearbox off yet
What's the book time for the job? If it's any consolation any of the later Golf/TT platforms seems to have many jobs that take way too long, and need doing far too often. If anyone asks you to do a thermostat housing/water pump prepare to swear a lot! And have tiny fingers and the ability to see into dark corners to get all the various seals in the right place at exactly the same time.....4 hours labour for that alone

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 26th February 2022, 08:49 PM

No idea what book time is tbh, but having spoken to a pro mechanic friend who has done a few of these, the book is apparently wrong Several points it does in the wrong order making them extremely difficult, which I know now having done it the hard way

Since its spoiling progress on the FE, some pics can live here so you can share in my misery.

Airbox and battery out to even be able to see the gearbox from the top

Nearly 9 hours to get this damn thing out. Probably doable in 6 if you ignore the book and have done it before. An S8 gearbox can be removed in half that. I can have the whole drivetrain out in 4-5.

A surprisingly small pile of parts, every single one of which is a total arse to remove

Subframe off, hanging on the struts. The book says to disconnect the propshaft before removing the subframe, whereas apparently if you do it after it is far easier

I cleaned the gearbox. I'm not going mad on cleaning this, but it makes it just a tiny bit less unpleasant if its not covered in oily slime

The chain tensioner is leaking badly which is then dribbling on to everything

I think its fair to say we got every last meter of life out of the release bearing The clutch itself is worn, but not terrible, but the dual mass flywheel is toast so its just as well I'm replacing everything

The TT definitely goes on the naughty list with the D3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tt01.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	27947   Click image for larger version

Name:	tt02.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	27948   Click image for larger version

Name:	tt03.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	27949   Click image for larger version

Name:	tt04.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	27950   Click image for larger version

Name:	tt05.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	27951   Click image for larger version

Name:	tt06.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	27952   Click image for larger version

Name:	tt07.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	27953   Click image for larger version

Name:	tt08.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	27954  
Old 27th February 2022, 08:56 AM

Is the tt clutch job at risk of turning into a larger job ( ie do a list ) now you have the gearbox out ? ,or will you be able to ignore everything else you see when I'm there
With Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System, Advanced Parking System, TV Analog/ Digital, Rear/Back Window blinds, Front and rear heated seats, Alcantara Roof, Extended leather Pack 2, Extended Aluminium pack, Carbon and Aluminium trim packs, RSE, PS2.
Daily driver
Audi A8 d4 2014 phantom black 3.0 tdi

Previously owned
Audi 80 1986 1.8 white
Audi 80 1990 2.0 red
Audi A4 1996 1.9 tdi green
Audi A6 1.9 tdi 2000 blue
Audi tt 225 2000 silver
Audi s8 d2 2002 fe grey
Audi a8 4.0 tdi d3 2006 black
Audi a8 3.0 tdi d3 2010 black
Old 27th February 2022, 09:28 AM

It has to drive to work tomorrow, so clutch and gearbox and thats it. Anything not necessary to make it move is out of scope. That said, I've not actually found anything critical which is a bonus. The oil leak can be done later when the FE is finished.
Old 27th February 2022, 10:41 AM

Gearbox about to go back in. Send thoughts and prayers...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220227_120306.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	27962