A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 2nd March 2009, 04:50 PM
General Git

Default Mirror electrics

Following on from my successful seatbelt transplant (see post) I set about swapping the Mirror ECU I had acquired for a remarkable price from a well known A8 parts shop.....

It started when I realised that my mirrors were in really bad health and there appeared to be two separate problems:
  • Mirrors would not adjust
  • Folding mirrors worked but passenger side deployed too far. By that I mean it would end up almost perpendicular to the vehicle.

So the mirror ECU is behind the B pillar driver's side and it's really easy to get to. I'll run through the process:
  1. With a flat screwdriver prise trim section off from the base of the rear floor trim to reveal screw circled in pic 1. There is some adhesive underneath so a little force is required. It will click when released.
  2. Undo screw, note these seem weird screws with a version of a rawl plug embedded in the hole. That needs to come out as well!!!
  3. Repeat for driver's door.
  4. Remove B pillar trim; you'll need to unplug the alarm interior sensor button (if fitted) and the bulb for the rear vent control. This takes a little bit of a struggle.
  5. Remove Mirror ECU (pic 2) by undoing the two 10 mm bolts securing it, remove the plug (there is a black retaining clip here) and swap the unit round and simply put everything back.

Simple and easy. I took time to check the bulb wasn't blown at this point and the trim went back easy enough but that didn't fix everything..

Mirrors now adjust perfectly. I can actually change lane with some confidence I'm not going ram some poor unsuspecting vehicle off the road. But the folding mirror problem remains and I'm hoping someone can help me...

At fist I thought it might be a stop in the mirror that was snapped but why would the motor continue to be powered? Maybe there is another ECU to control these motors. Is there a VAGCOM adjustment here?

In desperation I might need to consult a main dealer ...

Anyway thanks in advance for any help!!!

G_G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor trim.jpg
Views:	1266
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	122   Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror ECU.jpg
Views:	1187
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	123  

Last edited by Conan_the_Librarian; 2nd March 2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Embed Photos
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Git View Post

Mirrors now adjust perfectly. I can actually change lane with some confidence I'm not going ram some poor unsuspecting vehicle off the road. But the folding mirror problem remains and I'm hoping someone can help me...

At first I thought it might be a stop in the mirror that was snapped but why would the motor continue to be powered? Maybe there is another ECU to control these motors. Is there a VAGCOM adjustment here?

G_G
Sounds like it might be the old door mirror chestnut of a worn cog in the folding mechanism, it might have slipped around a bit but in most cases the motor is still working

try this link for more
http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-...g-mirrors.html

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs