A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 18th July 2013, 10:10 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Just checked the part number on mine - it's 4DO 011 031F, the one for the 6L W12, not the armoured version
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 18th July 2013, 10:15 AM

Just been on to our sponsors and they have no armoured vehicle jacks available but they did have the uprated one for the 3.3 diesel/W12 (4D0 011 031F) - thats now in the post to me! From the description it sound like the armoured vehicle one that Jim has - a straighter, shorter body.
Old 18th July 2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
what do you use instead of the jack provided?
Breakdown cover. Worth a short wait.

I've never, ever attempted to change a wheel on a major road or motorway, just called out AA/RAC whatever. They have a big van with loads of warning lights etc. etc. and of course do it for you with the right tools.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th July 2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Breakdown cover. Worth a short wait.

I've never, ever attempted to change a wheel on a major road or motorway, just called out AA/RAC whatever. They have a big van with loads of warning lights etc. etc. and of course do it for you with the right tools.
Thats a fair point regarding doing such work on a main road/motorway but its ok for you home counties guys (anywhere sarf of Manchester in my book) but up here you can be miles away from the service provider (= long wait ) and, I guess, the point is that the tools provided by the vehicle manufacturer should be the right tools in the first place.
Old 18th July 2013, 10:51 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

If anyone wants a W12 version like mine:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Audi-A8-4D-4X...item27d475dec4
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 18th July 2013, 11:55 AM

My trolley jack won't fit under the jacking points without driving up onto blocks of wood first - but it is a pretty chunky effort. I considered it to have a pretty low level when down when I bought it though! It fits under my A6 Sport just fine....

I've used my factory jack twice and the first time it did start to move as the ground wasn't level - had to drop it down, re-centre, and have another go before I was happy it was stable to lift right up.

In future I think I'll just use the factory jack to get it up high enough to get the trolley jack under it (only needs lifting an inch or so so really only taking some of the load of the suspension)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 18th July 2013, 12:00 PM

That's where the D3 is great.. Pop it into lift mode and plenty of space (just remember to put it into jacking mode too or it'll drop right down on the jack).

I know.. I know..

Old 18th July 2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
My trolley jack won't fit under the jacking points
My tyre man has "airbag" type jacks that also don't really fit under the car unless it's lifted slightly. A manual "heave" on a wheel arch is sometimes just enough.
If the ground isn't entirely level he usually finds a corner with more clearance and lifts it a bit with one jack then slips another in further along to get going.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th July 2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Thats what made me think that jack was not for the 8, the 8 jack dosent have a groove it actually protrudes out and sits inside the cup on the underside of the car, the part that is gray and looks like a groove is the magnet.

You can get bags that fill from the exhaust, they were used a lot by off roaders for recovery and on soft ground where you would just jack a jack into the ground. I thought about putting one in the boot of the 8 but wasn't sure how soft the underside of the cars is.

Be careful with bags

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Dz-gHqtcSek

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure