A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Wheels and Tyres

D4 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 10th January 2017, 09:24 PM

Cant comment on a D2 but in my opinion the D3 and D4 are pretty quiet cars in terms of tyre noise.
I've been equally happy with Pirelli Pzero Nero's and Goodyear Eagle F1's but the F1's seem to be cheaper at the moment. I've had Nankangs and Kumho's and both were poor in terms of grip but lasted well for the money.
Each to their own but skimping money on tyres especially at this time of the year is madness.
Old 10th January 2017, 09:34 PM

Default D2 tyre noise

Hi,

Maybe the problem with my D2 road noise is that it isn't a D3 or D4!

Robert
Old 10th January 2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I have not tried their new CrossClimate yet so they could be good contender. But obviously any winter tyre and probably CrossClimate as well will make more noise and be worse on fuel economy.
I have the CrossClimates on my Volvo. They're EPIC! Much quieter than my old Goodyears NCT5s or Michelins Primacy 3s. I've not tried then in snow yet but I have on hard frost and they provided more grip in those conditions than I can ever remember having. Actually makes my RWD car driveable in bad weather.

2008 Audi S8
Old 10th January 2017, 10:14 PM

I didn't think CrossClimates were available in A8 sizes.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 17th February 2017, 08:21 PM

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 265/40 r20 194Y silent comfort technology ordered and sent to my local Audi dealer for fitting at the service on 6th March. Can't wait to see if there is a marked difference.

Cheers
Mark
Old 26th February 2017, 07:19 AM

Best tyres hands down for low road noise and great wet grip are landsail LS588

My friend first recommended this brand when I was not only complaining of noise but also aqua planning with my pirelli, and continentals. ..

I thought there is no way I'm using them on an A8 (dirty budget ) I was thinking .... then I drove his A8 and it's safe to say before I'd drank my cup of tea I ordered a full set of them.
Absolutely blown away by them. They are amazingly quiet, they handle really well in all conditions and give you great confidence in the wet.
I couldn't understand how a non brand can a achieve this .. then I realised there owned by michelin .. and even the big brand we know today started off as a nobody that no one had heard of before and now Pirelli are one of the biggest brands in the world.

You will be blown away by the performance I will only be fitting this tyre from now on
Old 26th February 2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
Looks like the technology has been around a while, was actually launched for the A8.

http://www.goodyear.eu/corporate_eme...hnology_161644

I wonder if a puncture repair would still be possible!?
This technology - essentially a foam inner - is the same as used in Contisilents, who state (for their tyres) that puncture repairs aren't possible, and my experience is that this can be done, but it's a lot trickier, and often not worth doing.

Essentially, the repairer has to:
(a) find the hole (under the foam inner),
(b) cut away the foam over that area,
(c) fix the puncture, and
(d) then re-cover the puncture area with the foam.

All of which takes time - and probably costs more - and I've been told by Kwikfit/National/others that repairing like this can cause the tyre/wheel to be become more unstable than the original tyre. For all of these reasons, I'm unlikely to refit Contisilents when I replace these shortly, but likely to go for Michelins instead, and put up with the increased noise.

See here also for a thread on this topic on the RS forum

https://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=116073

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 27th February 2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8 Ian View Post
Best tyres hands down for low road noise and great wet grip are landsail LS588

My friend first recommended this brand when I was not only complaining of noise but also aqua planning with my pirelli, and continentals. ..

I thought there is no way I'm using them on an A8 (dirty budget ) I was thinking .... then I drove his A8 and it's safe to say before I'd drank my cup of tea I ordered a full set of them.
Absolutely blown away by them. They are amazingly quiet, they handle really well in all conditions and give you great confidence in the wet.
I couldn't understand how a non brand can a achieve this .. then I realised there owned by michelin .. and even the big brand we know today started off as a nobody that no one had heard of before and now Pirelli are one of the biggest brands in the world.

You will be blown away by the performance I will only be fitting this tyre from now on
Really??
Previous set I've were Michelin Pilot SS, I loved the grip, don't care about the noise as exhaust or music cancels it out, but wear was horrible.

Went back to Pzero and they are horrible, TC comes on all the time, back steps out all the time, so I'll be after a new different set soon.

How many miles have you done on them so far??

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 8th March 2017, 07:49 PM

Tyres fitted today, and just done 25 miles, mostly on motorway and dual carriageway and they were noticeably much quieter than the non-SCT variant of Goodyear Eagle I had previously.

Also had its first service at 18k miles and matrix beam checked out, which has been reset, so a happy bunny now.

Also rear footrests have arrived, so those are installed too, so hopefully all set for the next 18k miles.
Old 20th March 2017, 05:16 PM

I managed 19000miles but to be honest at half the cost of Pzeros you can effectively do 40k for the same price.
I've moved back to Pzeros just has a full set fitted and have to say it's rather noisy again.
The LS588 were a fantastic tyre.

What have you just fitted ?