A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Wheels and Tyres

D4 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 20th March 2017, 09:35 PM

Hi Ian,

I fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrical SCT, and a couple of weeks on and still fantastically quiet and smooth, especially noticeable on the rougher bits on the motorway, where the differential between it and the super smooth bits is much less noticeable than with the prior tyres, and indeed Pzeros - I had those on the last D4 albeit 19" and could not wait to get rid of them, still not as bad as the Michelin pilot super sports though - they were really noisy.

Cheers
Mark
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:25 PM

Default How wide are yours

Looking at replacement tyres at the moment. I currently have 9 inch 19's wearing 235 wide Dunlop winters. The door sticker also says 255 for 19's and 265 for 20's. I'm looking at 21's and wondering how far I can stretch... Landsail have a very tempting 295 but a stretch too far?! I've looked at the calculators but interested in any experience of being creative width wise. I appreciate the impact on speedo readings if the rolling circumference changes too much and that I'll need make sure I have sufficient clearance. I'm not wedded to anything in particular just interested in experiences.
Old 24th April 2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manca View Post
I'm looking at 21's and wondering how far I can stretch... Landsail have a very tempting 295 but a stretch too far?!
I've got 295-25-21's on my D2 but they are on 10.5" wheels so I would think that would be quite a stretch

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 24th April 2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I've got 295-25-21's on my D2 but they are on 10.5" wheels so I would think that would be quite a stretch
That's interesting thanks for the info. I read some chatter suggesting theres quite a difference between brands but too wide is too wide. I have rims so need to sort tyres. I might try and pick up some used 275/35's off ebay so I can get them on the car and go from there.
Old 24th April 2017, 09:31 PM

Manca, you might want to check the insurance position of putting tyres on that are not to OEM spec. Some insurers see this as a modification, and if not declared/approved and you have an accident, they may not pay out.

Thanks
Mark
Old 24th April 2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr View Post
Manca, you might want to check the insurance position of putting tyres on that are not to OEM spec. Some insurers see this as a modification, and if not declared/approved and you have an accident, they may not pay out.

Thanks
Mark
That's a good point Mark thanks. I've given them the heads up on the rims already. Another reason not to be experimental
Old 25th April 2017, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manca View Post
That's a good point Mark thanks. I've given them the heads up on the rims already. Another reason not to be experimental
Fortunately, no such issue with part-worns, thank goodness

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Fortunately, no such issue with part-worns, thank goodness
Thank goodness indeed. I have four 275 35 21 pzeros on their way with a reported 7mm+ each. Just need a mobile fitter now
Old 23rd October 2018, 03:10 PM

Question

Just reviving this thread rather than posting a new one...

I'm about to replace all 4 tyres on my D4 which is currently running slightly oversized 275/40/20 Avon ZX7's on 20" OEM 10-parallel spoke wheels (PRK). They've been okay, no issues with grip/feel/water etc., but I do find the noise levels in the cabin to be fairly high, particularly when on crap roads (i.e. the ones where they throw glue & gravel down rather than resurface with new tarmac).

The majority of time the car is on A roads rather than motorways, and I'm looking for a mid-range tyre on the original 265/40/20 size, which is going to be as quiet as possible. The Goodyear SCT versions sound good, but perhaps a bit more than I'm looking to fork out. My local tyre centre has offered Davanti DX640 for £135 (inc. fitting/vat etc.), which are (apparently) manufactured by Continental?, or a budget one, Accelera IOTA ST68 at £85!! High-end wise, it would be the Goodyear
Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 at £185 each.

While the Accelera tyres are a great price (and rated at 68db), I worried they may be a bit too budget? Has anyone had any experience of these?

I've also considered dropping the wheel size to 19", but not sure that'll make a huge difference.

Thoughts, opinions & suggestions very much welcome

Last edited by mitcheto; 23rd October 2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 23rd October 2018, 04:18 PM

I find the Acceleras are a fair bit louder than their rating implies. Grip and wet performance is directly proportional to price although some members on here do like them.

The Eagle F1 Asym 3 is a terrible tyre. Its noisy, squirmy, bouncy, and ugly to look at. I have a set which I replaced after only a few thousand miles because they were so awful to drive on. Its such a shame because the Asym 2 was superb in every way the 3 is bad. Much as I dislike the Acceleras, I'd choose those over the Asym 3 if they were the only two options. Luckily they aren't!

Dropping wheel size with the same width tyre won't make a lot of difference - its the footprint of the tyre on the road that makes most of the noise.

Welcome btw