A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Common Faults

D4 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 7th May 2019, 05:44 PM

I think they redesigned the d4 in 2013. They had revised front shocks to resolve the harmonic issues and also they have noise cancelling through the stereo whic is also a tale tale. I’ve had her up in the ramp and gone through her with a fine tooth comb and there is nothing wrong at all. My friend at Audi has dug out a bulletin for the issue as Audi have a generic response as they have/had a lot
Of issues with people complaining of the same thing. He said it’s a harmonic problem of the front Axle of the early d4’s and you won’t do anything about it....which is even more upsetting
Old 7th May 2019, 07:13 PM

I'm not 100% convinced that it is an inherent issue, I have driven 10+ D4's ranging from 2010 to 2016 models, not once did I have cause to complain

In any case, I hope you can find a fix
Old 7th May 2019, 09:12 PM

+1
I test drove 4 other 2010 to 2012 D4’s prior to buying mine.
None of them had any such issue apparent.
Dont give up on finding the offending part. You’ll get there.

In terms of sentiment of D3 Vs D4; A D3 is much better built and better looking than a D4 but after getting used to the superior mmi/nav/8 speed auto/better engines etc. You won’t want to go back to the D3.
Old 18th May 2019, 01:25 PM

No experience on D4 but I have experienced similar thing with other Audis, Tyre make, size/profile and pressures definitely make a lot of difference but biggest improvement was switching from all metal ( I assume aftermarket) track rod ends to the OEM with rubber bush between the ball end and the threaded screw. Some that I have seem are 1 piece metal or 2 piece metal but without the rubber bush. If yours does not have the bush in there might be worth investigating if there are bushed variant available for D4 or if a part from another model with the bush can be used. Part number with bush that I used and fits D2 and A6 C5 and probably many other Audi/vW models is 8D0498998A.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190518_133542812.jpg
Views:	3449
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	21636  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 3rd May 2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20wes View Post
I am bitterly disappointed with my new d4, after many years of blissful d3 ownership I purchased a 2012 lwb 3.0 tdi d4. I have the dreaded droning noise, it is appalling. I have had the car 3 weeks, and when I bought her, I knocked the price accordingly so had the budget to:
4 new Goodyear f1 265/49/20 tyres
All four wheels checked, and powder coated
Both front wheel bearings
All fluids including gearbox and filter
Professional 4 wheel alignment (to the mm)
Nitrogen filled tyres
New oem discs and ebc ultra max 2 pads (superb in the d3)
Fresh brake fluid, system bled inc vcds bleed

Car is transformed, but has serious front road noise/ drone, drives me insane! So bad that I am actually thinking of loosing money and moving it on. It’s not prop centre bearing as is it definitely front, I’m contemplating having 2 new driveshafts as have read that Audi have fitted these for people complaining about the same issue, that would be my last straw as I cannot stand it. I even put my old d3 wheels on that had awesome (silent) Avon Zzr 5 tyres on, it was exactly the same. Every time I ask someone, they say tyre noise, but it must be more than that surely. I’m shocked at how bad the car is compared to the d3, a serious regrettable purchase, sad times
Old post, but did you, or anybody else ever got solution for this/this kind of problem? Just same symptoms in my d3. A lot of possible reasons checked, but core reason is still unresolved.

Eki