A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 26th August 2016, 10:46 AM

I love it! this mod is definitely on my list. Please do post pictures of wiring if you have time.

Mine starts overheating after about 10mins in traffic when temperature is 27C or above. The AC fan never comes on so it looks like I need to replace that too.
Old 28th August 2016, 10:14 AM

Finally a pic of the wiring:

The new fan wiring is all sleeved and runs alongside the original fan wiring. I've disconnected the 1st speed wire from the resistor pack and bolted it and the positive of the new fan through the heatsink / backing plate using nylon insulators (circled in red). The negative for the new fan is bolted straight to the heatsink as that is grounded to the body.

So, instead of the original fan coming on at its 1st speed, the new fan comes on at full speed instead. 2nd and 3rd speeds on the original, if they're ever needed, will work through the resistor pack as normal.
Old 31st August 2016, 02:34 PM

Thanks MikkiJayne, appreciated!
Old 4th September 2016, 01:53 PM

That's a clever way to wire it, I like it!
I was looking at getting a 2nd resister pack and basically doubling up on all the wiring.
This much simpler.

How noisy is the new fan? That's my main concern for wiring this way.
Also, the accepted wisdom on AW with regards to the Aux Fan wiring is that with the climate control on Auto, the Aux Fan runs continuously. From what you've been saying can I presume this is not the case?

Audinutt on AW/QW used the same fan. I tried to pm/email him for details on his set up and wiring, but he hasn't got back to me yet.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 4th September 2016, 02:35 PM

Its not obtrusive tbh. You can hear it over the engine from outside with the car stationary but not from inside.

It is on all the time with the CC on while stationary. I don't know if the CC is smart enough to turn it off when the car is in motion - common sense says it ought to, but I have no way to tell short of hooking an indicator lamp up to the relay (which I might do actually). It'll be annoying if it does run even when its moving.

With the CC on Econ the fan comes on and off with water temperature from the thermo switch in the lower rad hose.
Old 7th September 2016, 10:14 PM

Just speculating here, as I'm not too sure how the wiring through the resister pack operates, but what if you were to power the main fan through the second speed wire instead of the first?

Presumably instead of triggering at the lowest temp, it would trigger next temp up (need to check trinary switch temp settings to see what temp that is, as that would by default become engine operating temp).

As I run Climate 99% of the time, I would like an elegant solution which is independent of the Climate Control.
Like you said though, aircon may be infective without the main fan providing airflow...

Marty

Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4

Last edited by 27litres; 8th September 2016 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10th September 2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
Like you said though, aircon may be infective without the main fan providing airflow...
This is the problem. With no fan, there is no cooling with the car stationary or in slow traffic.

You could easily hook the new fan up to the second speed so it only comes on with excess temperature, but then all you'd have when stationary is the original fan on the 1st speed which may not give enough airflow for the AC to work. Plus that's not going to be any less noisy than the new one.
Old 17th September 2016, 11:01 PM

I understand with this setup when aircon is on the fan is always on.

If fan is constalantly running won't this put too much pressure on electric system, i.e. not enough power to fully change battery, etc.? Fan is a serious consumer ...

Just checking.

Last edited by notorious; 17th September 2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 17th September 2016, 11:38 PM

Its no different than stock in that regard. With the OE setup the aux fan is always running with the AC on too. All I'm doing is running the new fan instead of running the aux fan on 1st speed - I haven't added any new conditions to run the fan. I think the new fan actually draws less current than the stock aux one tbh.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 18th September 2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 17th September 2016, 11:56 PM

Just had a read of the specs from the SPAL website.
The VA10-AP10/C-41A has a maximum draw of 8.5 Amps at 13V (110.5W).
With a 150Amp alternator, I think you'll be Ok.
Besides - the Aux fan runs all the time already and that will be pulling similar amps and with MikkiJayne's wiring, you swap one fan for the other.

Marty

Family:

Sold:
1997 Audi A4