A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 22nd February 2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S View Post
Condensation in the back light lens as well as in the rear windscreen. Could all be related?
Yes it could - I'd instantly suspect the seal on that light unit!?
Old 22nd February 2016, 12:17 PM

Hmmm... Audi replaced that particular lens unit about 2 and half years ago. Wonder if they screwed up fitting it. May pull it out in the summer and have a look behind it and see what's what.

If water got into the bootlid, for example through a dodgy lens seal, is there any drain holes in it for the water to come out or would it just keep building up until it overflowed into the boot?
Old 22nd February 2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S View Post
Hmmm... Audi replaced that particular lens unit about 2 and half years ago. Wonder if they screwed up fitting it. May pull it out in the summer and have a look behind it and see what's what.

If water got into the bootlid, for example through a dodgy lens seal, is there any drain holes in it for the water to come out or would it just keep building up until it overflowed into the boot?
I suspect that if water got in it would find it's way to the spare wheel well - it did in my S4. Sometimes after a heavy down poor opening the tailgate resulted in a waterfall, but not always! Certainly sounds like a good place to start.
Old 29th February 2016, 03:53 PM

Well my condensation patch is back again, but this time the boot is 99% dry.

I washed the car yesterday but stupidly didn't check for the condensation before I started, but noticed it when I'd finished. It could have been there before I started washing for all I know.

There was a very small damp patch under the boot floor in the right hand corner nearest the rear by the box the jack is in. This to me is smacking of water coming in around the light clusters as you said Paul. I will have to get them out to check. Is there a gasket or seal on the back of the lights where they mate with the bodywork?

I'm still not sure about the condensation though. I'm beginning to think there may well be a pin hole in the rear glass seal or something. Baaah !!!!
Old 29th February 2016, 08:40 PM

ahhh, thats a shame, I was hoping your solution would lead me to one, I haven't got round to looking for this on account of being away with work, but mine hasn't been there all week - till this mornings frost defrosted

The light clusters leaked on my Cabriolet (1997 car) but its a quick fix with their sealant cord stuff, hopefully the D3 is the same as I have loads of that stuff in the garage. I think that will be too simple though
Old 29th February 2016, 10:35 PM

Yeah.. I have googled leaking boots and rear screens and some of the causes are mental. One guy had a hairline fracture in some sealant under the plastic cover of the roof seam/channel right at the back and water was getting in there. Another guy found it was getting in around the wiring grommet. Another had a leak around the hinge bracket (hatchback though). It goes on and on. It could be getting in from anywhere. Might be hard to track down.

I'm definitely going to start with a new boot seal, clear out the drain pipes all round and sort out the rear lights. The reversing light lens on the inner drivers side rear light is really full now. Something not right there.

I keep thinking that it's a bit too much moisture to be just from breath or damp from feet etc. and I cant help but wonder why it condenses just in that corner. It's warm moist air condensing on cold glass. Either the glass is colder there than anywhere else (leak in seal) or there is moisture getting in and running down but the headlining and c pillar covers are all bone dry as is the parcel shelf.

Back to the drawing board for now but watch this space.
Old 2nd March 2016, 09:47 AM

Right... I have found the ingress point of the water. Well sort of... I washed and waxed the car on Sunday, so the rain was beading nicely on it this morning. As I reversed out of the drive, which is on quite a slope, the rain on the roof all ran to the back of the car and probably a pint or more of water came pi55ing out of the headlining and all over the parcel shelf, headrest and c pillar cover on the drivers side. I either have a broken screen seal there or a hole in the bodywork/sealant under the gutter trim maybe? I need to get the C pillar cover and the headlining down to inspect. Is that an easy job to get those bots of trim off without wrecking them? I'm hoping its a hole in the bodywork rather than the screen to be honest as I can just bung some caulk/sealant in there. I find this all quite ridiculous on a 6 year old, luxury car costing £70k +. Would this sort of thing be covered by Audi's bodywork and corrosion guarantee?
Old 2nd March 2016, 11:35 AM

You sure that's not from the sunroof rails?

I would check you rear sunroof drains are clear to make sure it's not from inside

Old 2nd March 2016, 11:36 AM

Don't know about the Lee but I don't have a sunroof...
Old 2nd March 2016, 12:30 PM

No... No sunroof here either.

It was audible as it poured in. The whole corner of the headlining and parcel shelf was soaked. I have never heard it or seen it that bad before. Whatever it is must be getting worse. Need to find it quick sharp.

Tags
autoglass, condensation, glass, leaking, rear