A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Old 28th March 2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2.0E View Post
It's a map type option in Nav but you need Audi Connect via an active sim in the slot between the SD card slots.
Or an rSAP bluetooth connection
Old 28th March 2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath View Post
i have the sim slot in my car

is the sim an audi only part or can you use any sim to get audi connect?
Any data SIM should work, but the car likely won't support the full UK spectrum so coverage may vary. My Vodafone connection works fine though
Old 28th March 2017, 05:51 PM

I use Vodafone also, data usage is minimal.
Old 28th March 2017, 08:49 PM

3 do, or did, a free PAYG data Sim with 200mb per month, which I am using in the car for google earth and other connect services, such as fuel prices etc. The 200mb per month works fine for me, as iPhone doesn't connect using rsap.

I use my iPhone for voice only as the second connection, and have set up so that all calls go through that connection.

Only pain with connected services is that you get "enhanced" verbal traffic updates info, which is not that reliable and quite often tells you of problems the other direction to that which you are travelling.
Old 1st April 2017, 11:22 AM

right i have a htc 10 phone
and according to google thats compatible with the rsap
so how do i set this up ???

i already have a bluetooth connection for my phone and my audio
but audi connect is still looking for a compatible sim

thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 07:23 PM

In the phone setup menu, select "paired devices", find your phone and you will see three profiles, Car Phone, A2DP and Handsfree. I suspect you just need to connect the first one "Car Phone" is rSAP
Old 2nd April 2017, 08:28 AM

If anyone does want the 2017 road maps for the MMI I have 12 remaining, they come pre loaded on ST card and are £180 including postage. Installation takes about 1hr and engine must be running or a battery maintainer connected they are for Audi A8 D4. Alternatively I can install them for you and activate your licence for £80+ some diesel depending on where your based.

I also have the latest MMI software updates for the same price and can do a deal on both!
This will change your old menu on the MMI from 2011 to the newest 2017 layout with the online connect feature on the main menu. Can also activate all additional features free while I'm at it, such as TV in motion, dvd ripping, Bluetooth streaming, on board WiFi , ipod, etc. Laptimer and boost gauge for those with S8. Pm me if your interested

Last edited by A8 Ian; 2nd April 2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 2nd April 2017, 05:31 PM

Hi all. I have.... I think..... managed to get the MMI update onto my computer at last, the host is Mega and for some reason I struggle to finish any downloads. The instructions have failed at least a dozen times in the last few days, so apologies if the following questions are numpty, I will get the instructions before I do anything but wondered if someone might be able to give me heads up if I need anything else in the meantime
I don't have VCDS so will I be okay with loading this without, I have a very early 2010 car with sim slot? I gather I need to remove the Bose file before I update which I hope is in the instructions I still haven't managed to download yet. Want Audi Connect and Google Earth working ideally. By the way is there any reason why it's recommended to use a 32g SD card. The MMI appears to be way smaller.... I have an 8g card and a 128g card but nothing in between. Is the 32g because of the map size or a limit on what the car can read?
Any help appreciated
Old 2nd April 2017, 08:41 PM

You absolutely need vcds(at least to activate hidden green menu) you need to select ignore region and variant and select user defined mode.
SD card must be partitioned to fat32 it won't work at all. I use a 64gb card fat 32 it.
If you have on board WiFi available from the sim card then you can convert to Google earth but not if someone card is only for calls 3G. If you have 3G high you can convert to 3G plus with latest software update
Old 2nd April 2017, 08:47 PM

To get it working you have to do bootloader on practically everything. Essentially it's not upgradable via a standard update and the system is not backward compatible so if you update without bootloading all the files it will only update the file it thinks need updating rather than changing the files. An example of this is you have 5 different files for the bose amplifier, the system will detect what it thinks is the most appropriate to update "this is a no no if you want Google earth" it will bypass Google earth to stick with existing functionality.
Go into user defined mode select all of the files that are also labeled N for not up datable and select them all.
It will essentially not update existing but rather re-install the entire operating system using the new software.

I hope that makes sense! Oh and PS this method requires half a tank of fuel, a private and secure driveway and about 6 hours end to end including MMI update, Nav update and activation.

Note: I'd recommend exporting your existing activation key onto an SD card first, it requires historic evidence of licenced versions otherwise you will not have live traffic data and updates only the free TMC. To export the keys insert a fat32 SD card hold return and car together for 5 seconds. You will get engineering menu, select system, then licenced keys, then export.

It will work without but it won't show you "2 miles of traffic ahead" etc the live stuff

Last edited by A8 Ian; 2nd April 2017 at 08:53 PM.