A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 15th February 2016, 09:52 PM

Washed my car this weekend and there seems to be damp/moisture in the boot now too. The boot carpet seems damp. I'm wondering if my moisture is something like the boot seal leaking and the water going into the boot carpet and then evaporating through the parcel shelf into the cabin? Or do we still think it's more likely that it's coming through the window seal and down into the boot? Any way to check if the boot seal is leaking?
Old 15th February 2016, 10:23 PM

Could it be coming in round the lights
Old 15th February 2016, 10:29 PM

It could be. I have had the inner right light changed ages ago and there has been a couple of dents pulled out of the boot lid in that area too. I'm wondering if whatever made the dents twisted the boot lid slightly or that one of the lights are leaking. They have condensation in too. More investigation needed me thinks. Talc and a hose I guess....
Old 15th February 2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S View Post
Talc and a hose I guess....
Kinky, but if it take your mind off the incontinence in your boot...
Old 15th February 2016, 10:38 PM

Old 18th February 2016, 07:39 PM

OK, I had little to no condensation on Tuesday as it was dry. It rained heavily yesterday and today I had condensation on front and rear screen, but more so on the rear screen. I opened the boot to check for damp again (which it was) and found water running down the side panels and along the seal. Do you think this could be either a knackered seal or a misaligned boot lid. A new boot seal maybe worthwhile do you think? Or is this a symptom of another problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160211_144002.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	12456   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160218_190804.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	860.4 KB
ID:	12457   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160218_190811.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	743.3 KB
ID:	12458   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160218_190821.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	828.9 KB
ID:	12459   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160218_190833.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	12460   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160218_190839.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	12461  
Old 18th February 2016, 08:04 PM

hmmm, I checked my boot and its bone dry, but although not as large, my condensation is similar to yours.

I opted against replacing the glass last week as I spoke to the Corby guys when they came out and they said it was laminated, so would most likely crack, checked with TPS and the part takes two days, also, the glass isn't patent parted like some other screens so they didn't have any in stock they could keep in an if-in case scenario.

With the weather the way it is and the travel I do, I couldn't justify the risk of trying to get the screen out.

So, my next step is to attempt to strip the interior out of the boot and rear seats/headlining, then see if I can trace a leak on a rainy day - hoping to fix it from the inside out.

Only thing is, my spare days are running out because of work (self-employed) so if anyone gets there before me, let me know what you find.

Lee, is the top part of the boot hatch wet? also, check the headline above the rear drivers door, is it damp? one of the corby guys said they found a pinhole on a car once, under the water guides/roof rack areas, and over time it had widened and was the cause of a lot of problems on an A8
Old 18th February 2016, 10:20 PM

The plot thickens !!

Just spent the last 45 mins bailing out the boot. Under the boot liner, the carpet was wet and under the carpet/floor the spare wheel well was quite full. Had to do it with a sponge and kitchen roll and got 95% out. I have put spare wheel back and left the boot floor wedged up to allow air to circulate. I think that's where my condensation is coming from. The couple of litres of standing water in the boot!!!

I removed the RH side boot side panel and it was slightly damp in there, but that could have been condensed water from the main boot. Didn't seem sopping though and the battery was mainly dry. The LH side boot panel was bone dry. Both side panels seemed dry too. The boot-lid lining was damp, but again could be from condensation. No damp on headlining either, so I'm not sure it's coming from roof, but still a possibility its coming from window.

Next step is to get in there and close boot with a powerful torch and see if there is any light escaping and then after that it will have to be someone in the boot with a torch and me outside with a hose/jet-wash. I cant see how it can get through the boot seal as the seal is raised but I did jet-wash the car the other day so if the seal is bad then that would let a fair amount of water in. Very strange.

None of the water smelled bad either suggesting that all this is a recent thing. I don't remember anything this bad before.

Anyone seen water ingress this bad before or have any ideas other than window seal? It seemed far too much water for it to be the window seal.

Last edited by Lee S; 18th February 2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 19th February 2016, 11:05 PM

I had water ingress on my S4 Cab, not from the rood as I first thought - be it was from the gromit in the boot lid with the cables in it. Stripped, cleaned and a bit of silicone grease to re-fit and all has been well for two years now
Old 22nd February 2016, 01:54 AM

Well everything is dried out and I have driven 150 miles or more in the rain and its all still dry. Will check again in the morning after its been sat in rain overnight but I suspect that the water came in courtesy of the jet wash and an old flattened boot seal that's just not enough to keep pressurised water out. Will order a new seal anyway and see how it goes. Won't harm.

I have been jet washing the car since I've had it so i wonder how long this has been going on for unnoticed. Condensation in the back light lens as well as in the rear windscreen. Could all be related?

Tags
autoglass, condensation, glass, leaking, rear