A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 16th August 2017, 12:21 PM

Nice find! Very unusual combination but I like it. I wonder how much the got the weight down to. If its also FWD must be quite light weight relatively speaking.
If it saves the owner at least 700 euros per year sounds like its well worth it. Comfort, economy plus low cost.
Old 16th August 2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete-p View Post
It does look rather a long way over to the left, unless it's just the photo making it look that way. It would be awfully uncomfortable to drive. When I drove buses I remember one particular type where the pedals where too far to the left and the steering wheel too far to the right, very weird feeling!
The offset is why I discounted the B5 pedal cluster when working out my manual swap. On the D2 the brake servo is almost in line with the pedal whereas with the B5 the servo is about 4" past the clutch pedal. Curiously though, that would put the pedals further to the right so I wonder if this one has a LHD B5 set which is closer but offsets to the left instead.

Its a completely different design though, so either some creative engineering has being going on here, or some bad hacking
Old 16th August 2017, 08:34 PM

In theory, it should be decent to drive and very economical if the pedal position isn't an issue. A steel bodied A6 of that era sold well with the 1.9 TDI 110 engine. They generally outlasted the 2.5 as they were a far more reliable powerplant and much better on fuel.

Last edited by Joe2.0E; 16th August 2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 16th August 2017, 09:23 PM

Agreed. I had an A6 Quattro with a tuned up 1.9 and while it wasn't fast, it was certainly quicker than a 2.8 A8, and weighed about the same.

Maybe I'll build one as a courtesy car
Old 17th August 2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Agreed. I had an A6 Quattro with a tuned up 1.9 and while it wasn't fast, it was certainly quicker than a 2.8 A8, and weighed about the same.

Maybe I'll build one as a courtesy car
Uh hum, 1.9 Leon looking for a new home here, seeing you're in the Shire will do a deal for "ruff zider" and majic beans. It even has a pair of new tyres on the front. Would make for a great loaner till you build the 6

Bright yellow bus o love.