A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 19th December 2012, 01:39 PM

Default Vin

thought I would check to see what the OE spec was on my 2000 sport q, read the VIN off the V5 and inputted into one of those check programmes which said .....no such car exists , special anti cloning figure inserted

ah , obvious error here , somebody inputted a wrong figure on the V5 , went to car ,lifted bonnet , checked sticker .....SAME VIN !

wtf ....have I got a mondeo with an audi grill stuck on the front or something ?

anyone got an explanation or could suggest a definitive site to check again?
Old 19th December 2012, 01:58 PM

Which VIN check site did you use? Just checked mine on the www.NICB.org site and it tells me that it is not listed in the theft or total loss records. I know that doesnt help you (! ) but just wondered if its a matter of interpretation?
Old 19th December 2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Which VIN check site did you use? Just checked mine on the www.NICB.org site and it tells me that it is not listed in the theft or total loss records. I know that doesnt help you (! ) but just wondered if its a matter of interpretation?
thanks for that david ....says that that VIN isn't recorded as stolen or written off , which is a start !

doesn't say it exists though !
Old 19th December 2012, 02:32 PM

mixing zeros and 'O's, 5 and S etc is all easy to do so tripple check that first

They all start WAUZZZ4D, then 2 numbers (2nd of which is single digit model year so 2 for 2002), then N, then 6 numbers

If in doubt still get Audi to check it on their systems

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 19th December 2012, 08:51 PM

checked and double checked !
incidentally mine goes 4 letters after the 4 and before the 6 numbers

is that too many fore's ?
Old 19th December 2012, 11:02 PM

If you can see it, sit in it, start it, drive it, it exists ..... Probably. However being just a few hours short of the end of days, a bit of armageddon could be leaking over
Old 20th December 2012, 07:57 AM

Well my 2001 is this.

WAUZZZ4DZ1N******

The number 1 before the N is a year, so it has to be a number. So if yours is a 2000 then its a zero and not the letter O.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 20th December 2012, 09:19 AM

well , mine goes WZUZZZ4DZYN******

did a quick check ,started year code letters in 1980 , got to Y in 2000 , then changed to numbers

wonder what happened in 2010 ?
Old 20th December 2012, 09:26 AM

According to Wikipedia:

"One consistent element of the VIS is the 10th digit, [the character before "N"] which is required worldwide to encode the model year of the vehicle. Besides the three letters that are not allowed in the VIN itself (I, O and Q), the letters U and Z and the digit 0 are not used for the model year code. Note that the year code is the model year for the vehicle."

So according to that the VIN wont use "0" (zero) for the year whichitself is the MODEL year and not year of registration.

So far so good, but my 10th digit is "3" and yet the car is not a 2003 model?
Old 20th December 2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
If you can see it, sit in it, start it, drive it, it exists ..... Probably. However being just a few hours short of the end of days, a bit of armageddon could be leaking over
^^^ what he said

You lot are all driving ringers. I wouldn't do too much worring about it or too much digging, or you'll end up having to give it back to the rightfull owner

Bright yellow bus o love.