A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 12th December 2015, 09:59 PM

Default Summer wheels refurb and hydrographics

Just had my summer wheels refurb'ed at a local company under new ownership (owned by friends of mine although this is not meant as an advert for them!) and they did a fine job. Really pleased with the job on all 5 especially with the attention paid to the insides as well which can be seen in one of the pictures. (see photos). Mine previously were pretty rough inside and thats where they started to deteriorate first.

They also do hydrographics which was new to me. Basically they float images or whatever on the surface of a tank and then lift the object - wheel, spoiler through it before clear laquering it and oven baking. They can coat objects with all sorts of images including carbon fibre pattern (see photo of TT spoiler). Whilst the wheels may not be everyone's taste (these were demo wheels off their vehicle) it shows what can be done. I couldnt persuade The Laird to get his winter Avus 18s done in this style tho'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	12206   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	12207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0142.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	12208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	12209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0136.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	12210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0137.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	12211  
Old 13th December 2015, 09:18 AM

Milky window chrome trims in black carbon using hydrograffics
I did grill on my previous ML looked amazing
Old 13th December 2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borys View Post
Milky window chrome trims in black carbon using hydrograffics
I did grill on my previous ML looked amazing
I did wonder about the chrome/ally trim! and also thought that the foglight grills (and maybe the grill) would look good in carbon too.
Old 13th December 2015, 10:34 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I thought the green/black wheels might suit a hippie camper van until I looked a the design more closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
I did wonder about the chrome/ally trim! and also thought that the foglight grills (and maybe the grill) would look good in carbon too.
Good idea. Or maybe even a chrome carbon-fibre, like this, if it's possible:
http://i.imgur.com/BYiNKd2.jpg
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre dιcor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 13th December 2015, 12:28 PM

Hydrograffic has brilliant gloss finish to it
Looks like original carbon
Old 13th December 2015, 06:18 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
I couldnt persuade The Laird to get his winter Avus 18s done in this style tho'
FFS, this stuff might look 'good' on a sh**ty Astra with a fat tailpipe, but I would rather resign from this forum that have it anywhere near my '8. Get a grip, David!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 13th December 2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_laird View Post
ffs, this stuff might look 'good' on a sh**ty astra with a fat tailpipe, but i would rather resign from this forum
that have it anywhere near my '8. Get a grip, david!
Creased

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 13th December 2015, 07:17 PM

It was a joke Jim
If you read it I didnt state that those wheels were something I admired - just that they were examples of hydrographic work. Some people, however, might be interested in the carbon fibre finish for other areas - internal trim, for instance.
Old 13th December 2015, 08:57 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Er, yes, I know it was a joke - so was my post! We need to get back in touch over a beer/cider and a dram so we're back on the same wavelength again!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 13th December 2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Er, yes, I know it was a joke - so was my post! We need to get back in touch over a beer/cider and a dram so we're back on the same wavelength again!
So you'll be getting the camouflage finish then?!