A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Spotless

Spotless For all your cleaning discussions....

Old 4th February 2014, 09:24 PM

Default Gtechniq ClearVision Screen Kit

Hi
I was a bit sceptic about that product, but decided to try it as there was a lot good reviews.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/g...creen-kit.aspx

Whole process takes about 1.5hour
Coating should last for at least 20,000 miles.

Videos below are done 2 weeks after putting the coating on and 4 car washes.

On the bottom of the page there are 2 videos and they don't lie, I've experienced same effect.

I haven't got a video from inside the car while driving, but I've done a quick test just to show you guys that it does work.

2nd video, with wipers on, was done after installing new Lucas blades.

I would definitely recommend that to you guys.
Best 20quid spent this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1ZqCAcMGrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq7Lxw6xai4

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 4th February 2014, 11:38 PM

Rather expensive for a 15ml bottle (£15.95). The fellow who valeted my car told me about a local company called Orchard Autocare:

http://www.orchard-autocare.com/

They have a product called Hydrophobe:

Same principle as the Gtechniq stuff, but a damn site cheaper, £15.95 for a 500ml bottle. It's also a lot less time consuming applying it... just spray it on!

I did my windows the week before Christmas and it works a treat for me. The car hasn't been washed since then and is pigging, but the windscreen surround (where the wipers don't get to) is just starting to show signs of dirt sticking to it, whereas it would start showing after a week or so. Hope to get it washed this week and then I'll find out if it still works.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 5th February 2014, 12:15 AM

I think stuff you are talking about is very similar or even same as RainX.

If you compare bottle sizes, 15ml to 500ml, £15 for 15ml sounds a lot, but the problem with spray on repellents is that they don't last long at all.
Plus you will have a lot of glass polish left (big bottle).

With this stuff process is much longer but there is a reason for it, it should last 20,000miles at least not only few washes.

The best way to do it is to get a kit.

Most of my time I spent on the big bottle, glass polish.

The coating itself needs just simple application of 3 coats, 15min wait after last coat, and then you just need to use residue remover (2nd small bottle) and you are done.

Value for money??
I think YES.

500ml will cost you same money, but this stuff needs to be applied on regular basis and thats where I would stop when choosing a good repellent.

If for the same money, but extra 1.5 hour of your time you won't have to do it for the next 20,000 miles, would you still use the 500ml bottle??

Some people would and there is NOTHING wrong with it.

It's all about personal preferences, and this stuff is really good....so far.

If I notice visible drop in it's function I will update this thread as soon as

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 13th February 2014, 08:53 PM

A daytime effect...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSA3gwgXRKI

The really good thing is that you really don't need wipers on, seriously.
So if they fail on motorway lets say then you are still good to continue your journey safely

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 14th February 2014, 09:55 PM

gtechniq makes some impressive stuff. i've used their c1 sealant and it's brilliant.
Old 4th February 2016, 01:33 PM

I wonder if this is as good / better than http://www.aquapel.com/ which i've used a for a couple of years and not had a problem with. Typically picked it up off ebay for £7-10 a go.

Need to really clean the windscreen and any other windows you apply it to, then use the applicator and smear it all over a few times. Buff off and just keep buffing until it goes clear.

Then when it rains it's Star Trek time and warp factor 9!

It lasts and last compaired with Rain-X etc which also gum up wipers and overall are naff!