A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Trims

D3 - Interior Trims Seats, dashboards, plastics, everything inside the cabin

Old 29th December 2014, 03:46 PM

Default I'm fixing a hole....

Drivers seat has a small hole. I tried unsuccessfully to seal it last autumn and didn't do the best of jobs with covering it over with a Woolies kit afterwards, so I thought I'd have another go.
I'm not particularly 'handy' so I'm sure I've achieved the lower end of whats possible but I'm happy(ish) so thought I would share.

First the kit, there's loads to choose from I bought this one for £15.00, helps I guess having black leather. Took a couple of weeks to get it (first one lost in post apparently) but their CS was very good.

Next the hole

After my bodge with the Woolies kit I attacked the area first with 2000 grade wet and dry (not supplied). I generally blame Marcin for what is becoming an obsession, he suggested I gave my headlights the once over with some and the result was a revelation so everything gets sanded now!

Then a clean up and put the repair patch in place

Once its in place glue the repair patch to the back of the leather.

Fill the hole and leave it to dry

Add the colour, let it dry and finally put on the protector. The colour comes with a 'duller' and I used too much (you're supposed to test it, leave for 24 hours etc... I didn't ... it was too dull) so a quick once over with some boot polish was needed.

It looks quite good IMO. The photo makes it look lumpy to the left of where the hole was which I didn't notice until I took the photo.... I'm guessing I rucked something up behind the leather. In real life it doesn't show anywhere near as much, not sure what I did tbh.
Old 29th December 2014, 04:16 PM

That's impressive . And its good to know there's a way to fix these things
Old 29th December 2014, 05:26 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Nice work!

Did you push the patch piece in through the hole and then poke something around inside to lay it flat against the back, or did you somehow manage to get to the back of the leather to place it over the hole?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 29th December 2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Nice work!

Did you push the patch piece in through the hole and then poke something around inside to lay it flat against the back, or did you somehow manage to get to the back of the leather to place it over the hole?
Pushed the patch through the hole and used a supplied wooden spatula to flatten it and position it. I put a small mark in the middle of the patch first so I knew I had the patch centred on the hole