A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 22nd April 2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audia8driver View Post
Hello guys,

This weird, I have just looked at the Naim bluetooth combo at plc world today and was going to post and found this.

Is this naim better than the BO a9 or Bose kit?

Any other good decent sounding kits.

It will replace my old kit, arcam pre and power amps, bi amped.. maranta ki signature CD player and b&w 505 speakers, plus Stax electrostatic headphones- so sound is absolute paramount.

Thanks
My friend has the B&O A9 mk1, and I've heard it and he's heard mine, but we live about 250 miles apart so have never listened to them side by side. My friend isn't particularly tech savvy, but says the A9 can't play FLAC nor can it stream internet radio or be linked to a NAS, but I don't know how much credence to give to what he says.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 22nd April 2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
My friend has the B&O A9 mk1, and I've heard it and he's heard mine, but we live about 250 miles apart so have never listened to them side by side. My friend isn't particularly tech savvy, but says the A9 can't play FLAC nor can it stream internet radio or be linked to a NAS, but I don't know how much credence to give to what he says.
Thanks for that info.

I was looking at B&O mk 2.

The naim does sound and looks good, I will only be using Spotify- recorded at the best rate

The only thing is then getting used to one speaker doing it all, at the moment can't get my head round that

Is the price for the naim around £895.00?
Old 22nd April 2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that info.

I was looking at B&O mk 2.

The naim does sound and looks good, I will only be using Spotify- recorded at the best rate

The only thing is then getting used to one speaker doing it all, at the moment can't get my head round that

Is the price for the naim around £895.00?
Yup. Once I'd heard it, I bought it. Got it a touch cheaper, but not much.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 22nd April 2017, 08:06 PM

Ok great ...There is a Richer Sounds near where I work in Liverpool, so will check it out, if they have it.

I want to listen to a variety of music, so I think the Naim should hit the mark.
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Ok great ...There is a Richer Sounds near where I work in Liverpool, so will check it out, if they have it.

I want to listen to a variety of music, so I think the Naim should hit the mark.
That's the store I listened to it in, and promptly bought it from!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 22nd April 2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Or - admittedly for a bit more money - try a Linn Sneaky or Kiko system.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
That's the store I listened to it in, and promptly bought it from!
Hey hey, great minds
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Or - admittedly for a bit more money - try a Linn Sneaky or Kiko system.
That's going to kill my budget for my next pair of driving shoes, ok will look into this too
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
It will replace my old kit, arcam pre and power amps, bi amped.. maranta ki signature CD player and b&w 505 speakers, plus Stax electrostatic headphones- so sound is absolute paramount.

Thanks
Was in a similar position before Christmas, having fairly recently bought an Arcam A28 amp to replace an aged NAD which was totally out of its depth dealing with my Monitor Audio RS6 Silver floorstanders.

Ended up buying the Arcam Bluray player (UDP411) for £549 and now use that as main disc spinner for everything.

Also acquired a Google Chromecast Audio which I can control from the various phones and tablets scattered about the place, and gives me decent quality radio streaming, plus access to my NAS server, all for £15. Was going to buy a DAB tuner until I saw this!

Guess it depends on the age and condition of what you've got now and whether space is an issue?

I have a Yamaha sound bar for home cinema duties (YSP-3300) which I think is a great compromise on space/appearance, so can see the appeal of the Naim product

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:31 PM

Hi guys,

Made the plunge and got the naim muse..

Fine piece of kit, it looks good and sounds fantastic and is easy to use.

However, it is not as musically involving as my old separates and separation is not as good, but that's not a fair comparison as my System costs a lot more.

Also, I don't use my old system much nowadays and it only plays cd's, so I will be able to listen to my collection on spotify, which is good news.

The only bad thing, I will be sharing this with my wife and kids