A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 15th April 2012, 05:12 PM

Default How to prepare a 65 year old car for its MOT

Well I decided it was time to get the Rover ready for tomorrows MOT so I started her up for the first time in 8 months

A couple of turns of the starter motor and she burst into life, and round to the back of the house for the preparation work which consisted of a bucket of soapy water and a hose.....That's her now ready and I'll see what tomorrow brings.

I don't need to check wipers, seatbelts, indicators, brake pipes or brake cylinders for leaks, screen washers, emissions...In fact there is very little to check and I think I should get a cheaper MOT as it won't take much more than 30 minutes to get everything checked

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 15th April 2012, 05:15 PM

Thats such a cool motor!!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 15th April 2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Thats such a cool motor!!
It will be if it passes the MOT

Old 15th April 2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Well I decided it was time to get the Rover ready for tomorrows MOT so I started her up for the first time in 8 months
8 months without starting??..
Are you not afraid that open valves could start rusting? I guess it is less of risk if kept in heated garage but still..

As far as I know it is not recommended to leave engine without starting for more then 3 months and that is for petrol engines with fairly fresh oil. Diesels and engines with older oil should be started and run even more often.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 15th April 2012, 05:28 PM

I turn the engine over every month with the starting handle, a great work out and keeps me warm in the winter months

There is a radiator in the garage to keep everything toasty warm.

Old 15th April 2012, 06:38 PM

beautiful, do you have any interior shots
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 15th April 2012, 08:16 PM

Plenty interior shots...Where to start!!!

Rover didn't do wood, they did tree trunks

Rover were supplying rear blinds way back in the 40s as standard fittings

Air-con provided via the sunroof and opening front windscreen

Old 15th April 2012, 08:24 PM

Truly lovely car, back from the days when Rover made proper cars.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 15th April 2012, 08:32 PM

wow, spectacular, is that a rear blind i see on the rear screen, are you taunting me with options i still dont have today
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 15th April 2012, 08:44 PM

she's lovely! Ahhhhh, the days back when you had to actually drive a car not just point it where you would like it to go.....you should run a competition to let some folks see if they can get it to actually run. It's amazing how many people have never seen a choke, let alone an ignition advance amount of tweeking and cajoling to start and keep them running would bemuse many of today's motorists! And I love the manual handles to start the wipers, probably slow the reps down a bit in poor weather if they had to crank the wipers into action!

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids