A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Everything Else

D4 - Everything Else Holding forum for all D4 banter until membership grows and we'll expand out

Old 27th August 2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiforrest View Post
Thanks GlynC. Your comments echoed my concerns. I do circa 19-23k miles per year and one think I hate is odd problems, rattles and general poor build/reliability.

I had a standard XF from the lease company whilst the current BMW was in for electrical issues for 3 weeks and liked it - but it felt more Mondeo than exec inside. The Nav was awful! The drive and engine were great. Economy was poor. 45mpg in the BMW - 31mpg in the Jag. Do you find the D4 more economical with the XFS?

I am leaving the company car scheme (was doing 35-40k per annum) but as now based from home - having my own wheels is advantageous - hence the 2-3 year old car with all the toys rather than me paying tax on them (plus i get my co car allowance back). Like the look of a 3.0TDi A8 Exec SE with comfort seats, BOSE, Adaptive cruise, Sports Diff and whatever other options I can find on the right car. ACC is the one option that is not popular but keeping my eyes peeled until late Feb 2015 when I have to buy.

4.2 TDi I have not completely discounted but fear it will be too thirsty

Cheers
I have found the D4 very good on the Juice for such a large car, and whilst it can go very quickly you tend to drive it smoothly and enjoy the wafting along if that makes sense. I have averaged 41 over the last 1500 miles or so. I have seen well over 50 on one run from the midlands to the south coast which amazed me, even using the orbital carpark
Around town you will see it in the 30's but once on the open road it drops in to top gear 8 and at 70 it's ticking over so lovely quiet and economical.
Pop it into sport and she really can lift her skirt and make for the horizon for such a big car and as fiirepit says the traction is head and shoulders above anything else. I could never get my Merc E350 to pull away quickly without shredding the offside rear tyre always annoyed me. Brakes are superb and the options are there to be able to set up suspension throttle response and gearbox to suit your self in the mmi. The Eco mode also works ok and often on a long run I'll click into that for the long stretches of motorway but normally I use my own settings as I prefer the car to have a sporty ride and more weight to the steering etc.
I went for the sport exec as it comes with more kit although slightly harder to find and I wanted the comfort seats and Bose as a must have. I did have an option of another one with HUD night vision and a some other bits but couldn't justify the extra five grand they wanted for it. I had active cruise on the Three cars my E55 the XK and the XF and I wouldn't bother if I was ticking boxes and paying for it from new. Every time some knob drops across your bonnet it was hitting the brakes. I found it annoying, great in the 50 mph roadworks mind.
I nearly bought an A7 with a big spec, then looked at the bmw 6 series, but came back to the 8 as I really missed the d3 I have a few years back and once I drove the D4 I was hooked again. It's one of those cars that's just highly competent and not sold on the back of a marketing idea IMHO even my wife and kids love it and they normally just think I am OCD with my cars after a 300 mile journey a few weeks ago my wife said she really enjoyed the car as a passenger and felt comfortable and safe even at speed it just inspires confidence.
As with most big saloons they offer great value second hand. Mind you it doesn't surprise me BMW were offering me 20k straight off the top of a new 640 but they all shove these pcp deals and I buy my cars outright which they don't like.
I don't think you will be disappointed
Cheers
Glyn
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012
Old 27th August 2014, 08:13 PM

Cheers - excellent write up. Sport Exec would be fantastic - but not yet in plentiful supply. SE Exec will have to make do

Again, many thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 07:41 AM

Just to update managed to get into a D4 A8 SE Exec (phantom black / beige leather, black carpets, dash and headlining) with the following toys:

3. Wheels/tyres

[PQ6] 20x9J 5-segment-spoke alloys

[CE5] 20x9J alloy

[H20] Tyres 265/40 R20 104Y xl

[GH2] quattro with Sports differential

13. Headlining

[6NQ] Cloth headlining - black

14. Steering wheels/gear levers/selectorlevers/controls

[6Q3] Wooden gear knob

[2ZD] Heated 4 spoke leather multi function wheel with gear shift paddles

[7HB] Extended Leather

[2V9] Air Ioniser

[PDJ] Twin Pane UV, heat insulting glass and heated windscreen

10a Seats for driver and front passenger

[PS1] Comfort sports seats / memory

[6XL] Ext mir elec/fold/heat/dim/mem

[4QF] 3-point seat belts front, with electric height adjustment and memory system

[3PR] Electric fr seats w memory

[Q1D] Comfort Front sports seats

[9AH] Deluxe 4-zone climate control including rear comfort centre armrest

19. Radio and TV systems

[8RY] BOSE surround sound system

[QU6] TV Reception Digital

[9ZW] Mobile Telephone Preparation High

22. Assistance systems

[PCN] Audi pre sense plus for export

[7W4] Audi pre sense plus

[8T4] Adaptive cruise control

[7Y3] Audi side and lane assist

[QR9] With traffic signs recognition

4. Lights

[PX2] LED headl / high beam assist

[8EX] LED headlights

[8Q9] With fixed bending light

[8N7] High-beam assist

25th Audi follow-up guarantee

[SK6] LT vehicles with extended warranty

Managed to get more than £4k knocked off and ended up paying south of £25k for a 2012 model with 40k on the clock which I thought for a £70k+ car was a very good deal. Approved used too

Spec is similiar to a Sports Exec so very pleased. Now looking at 18" Rims for winters.

Do Quattro's need winters???

Cheers

Last edited by kiforrest; 10th November 2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10th November 2014, 07:55 AM

C'mon... lets have some pictures!!

Glad you got what you wanted and it does seem a good deal. Given your earlier posts I dont think that you will beat it for the type of motoring you do. Thats what I love about my D2 - its so easy to do huge miles on difficult roads which require total concentration (or you come off/hit a deer etc) and then get out at the end relatively fresh and unstressed.
There's several threads on why winter tyres are good even for quattro. so yes is the answer.

by the way - whats "fixed bending light"? Are Audi using Einsteins theory of General Relativity to see around corners?
Old 10th November 2014, 07:04 PM

Pics to follow on Friday when I pick the car up.

In terms of Fixed Bending Light it is part of Adaptive FrontLighting System (AFS) as patented by Hella (working with Audi)

Common AFS Functions

• Fixed Bending Light (FBL) with halogen or Xenon headlights;
• Dynamic Bending Light (DBL) mostly with Xenon headlights, potentially combined Fixed Bending Light (FBL).

The Fixed Bending Light consists of an additional light beam that can be switched on at one vehicle side beyond a specified steering wheel angle. This brings better visibility in road bends by an additional lighted sector of 35° to 40°, activated within a specified vehicle speed range. The light beam is generated by an additional bulb associated with a specific reflecting surface in the headlamp.

FBL must not be confounded with the Cornering Light, an additional 60° light beam that activates at high steering wheel angles and low vehicles speed. The cornering light source may be integrated directly in the headlamp with an additional parabola and a bulb, or in the fog light using an additional reflecting surface and the same bulb.

Simples
Old 13th November 2014, 06:49 AM

Well done mate you will love it.
I did over 400 miles in mine the other day average 46 mpg and after a long day got out feeling like I could do it again, they are a stunning bit of kit
Still half a tank of juice left too when I have a long journey I stick it in Eco mode which gets it into high gear quick and lowers the use of things like air on etc. really does make a different on the fuel. When you consider the size and comfort of the beast it's amazing
The comfort seats were a major plus they are superb wouldn't have an 8 without them. There is so much adjustment
Enjoy and let's have some pictures
Cheers Glyn
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012