A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Spotless

Spotless For all your cleaning discussions....

Old 21st November 2014, 06:03 PM

Default Leather dye

Anybody recommend a very good leather dye . Getting cheap recaro heated leather but I can't be bothered with an entire cour change . Currently have platinum leather and new interior is cream and car is aluminium silver
Old 24th November 2014, 07:55 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Woolies stuff is really good: http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-117-...enovation.aspx

But it'll be a heck of a job to do all the seats and change the colour. Sergey (notorious) has the code for Woolies Platinum to save you sending away a sample.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 24th November 2014, 07:16 PM

decided to go the other way , lower dash and door cards and carpet dyed black and leave door cards around handles and seats cream , hope it works
Old 13th December 2014, 03:58 PM

I've used one from frosts comesin a spray can, went from blue to black, only used one can on 2 seats. It was that good I showed it to my auto trimmer friend who recovers seats every day. and he didn't believe me! Until I found a bit in the old colour inside the pocket!
Cheers dave

2002 S8 silver with black half leather
2000 d2 S8 in Racing green pearl, RS4 manual gearbox,
2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 14th December 2014, 09:53 AM

do you have any pics and a link to where i can get some , also have you had any issues with colour transfer onto your clothes etc
Old 18th December 2014, 10:40 PM

I used dye bought from eBay a couple of years ago on my BMW e46. Colour match was perfect, application simple, and results were easily accomplished, and absolutely NO transfer to clothing.

TBH I spent as little time prepping as possible and hurried the entire job, but in person it looked great. I could have easily gotten much better results, had I had more time and inclination!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.

Last edited by Johnmed; 18th December 2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 19th December 2014, 08:14 AM

If it's black (it look like it is), then the colour match is easy.

But if you really want a 'proper' job, then the Woolies kit is hard to beat. It's a 3 part process: a cleaner (you will be amazed how mucky your seats get!); a renovating cream (custom dyed to match a tiny swatch, unless they've already done the colour before); and a sealer.

Wrinkles and creases just disappear and worn leather looks like it's been injected with botox!

It's not cheap, but it goes a long way, and it's worth every penny. I did a post somewhere, as have others; I'll have a look and post a link or two.

Here's my photos: heck of a result on silver grey leather (even lighter than Platinum): http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6502

And another member's results: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=932
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).

Last edited by The_Laird; 19th December 2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 19th December 2014, 12:11 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Here's my photos: heck of a result on silver grey leather (even lighter than Platinum): http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6502
I've been meaning to order some of that stuff. Had my seats professionally refurbished a while ago, but there's a few areas that need a touch-up already.

I'm pretty sure my seats are exactly the same colour as yours (N5D/WF). Reading through those discussions, there seems to have been some doubt about the reliability of the manufacturer colour code though. What did you conclude? Is it likely that Woolies will be able to provide me a correct colour match from that code alone?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 19th December 2014, 02:22 PM

The code on my build sticker is wrong! It says the seats are Platinum and they're actually Silver grey. If yours is the same as mine (and I'm 99% that it is), Woolies have my details on file, so you can give them my name (Jim Greaves, Helensburgh, Scotland) and they'll take it from there.

Or, I have loads of it and could send you a small sample to try if like.
Old 19th December 2014, 03:29 PM

yeah the small sample would be ace , i can get an idea of colour match then , i will pm you my address

edit
whats the build sticker code im looking for for either colour
my build sticker says i have N3Q/ BV
N3Q = FINE NAPPA LEATHER But no isea what the BV is

Last edited by Lloyd; 19th December 2014 at 04:05 PM.