A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 14th October 2014, 04:18 PM

Stolen from Google;

A 16” wheel will usually also be 2” narrower than an 18” wheel, and so take a tire that is both smaller in diameter and narrower. A smaller and narrower tire has better grip and performance in snow or ice. This is both because the smaller tire cuts through snow more effectively, and because the weight of the car is pressing on a more focused set of contact patches.
Old 1st December 2014, 07:07 PM

Just to bump this up, anyone put 235/50/19's on 19" wheels before?
Old 1st December 2014, 09:15 PM

Got to be careful on that as insurance will be funny about a non-standard size tyre.

I remember passing many mercs and beemers in my old clapped out mark 1 Astra on 145 tyres in the snow years ago

The thing is, the laws of physics will beat you on braking and steering pretty much no matter what. I'd stick with the standard size and go with winter tyres if you need to. TBH, I've never gone with them and just drive to road conditions.

I know.. I know..

Last edited by PsYcHe; 1st December 2014 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Can't type :)
Old 1st December 2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons View Post
Stolen from Google
I think that really applies to summer tyres used in winter conditions, not to proper winter tyres which are designed to grip snow.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 1st December 2014, 09:22 PM

Narrower winter tyres will still be 'better' in proper snow. On ice, you're screwed without studs pretty much 100% of the time.

Yes, the WRC guys use narrow tyres in snow, and often studded to get them extra grip in the icy ground underneath, but they're on almost 100% throttle all the time and have the road to slide in and push the studs to grip in.

I'd go with the approved sized from Audi if you feel the need to do winters.

I know.. I know..

Old 2nd December 2014, 09:51 AM

I'd agree with above recommendation to use the size quoted on the tyre pressure label. You'll have no issues finding them with the correct load index and speed rating and they will be infinitely better than a summer tyre as soon as it's wet/cold/icy. The speedo will read correctly as well (within 1 or 2 mph)

I tested our S5 speedo on the factory 20s against the new 18s I bought and on the 20s the speedo agreed exactly with GPS. On the 18s the speedo suggests I'm going 1-2mph faster than GPS - error gets bigger the faster you drive

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC