A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 23rd February 2019, 06:46 PM

Default DIY transmission service

Hi guys, gearbox has started to be a little confused when it comes to choosing gears. After looking at sticky on transmissions it seems to be a fairly straight forward job. I have few questions though;

How tricky is it to do it on stands, as I don't have access to a lift?

Where is best place to get service kit, does kits from Audi carry stupid premium?

Thanks for any input

EDIT: Mine is a 2.8 FWD, 5 speed EBX gearbox code.
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:06 PM

Straightforward if you have the right tools. I suspect an epic pain in the posterior if you don't.

If you're going to drop the pan and do the filter then that isn't going to be pleasant on stands since access will be very limited to get to all the bolts out and then clean everything up and put the sump back on properly. If you over-torque the bolts you can bend the oil pan flange which then damages the gasket which then causes leaks so be careful with them - 10Nm. Personally I wouldn't try this job on stands but I'm sure someone on here will have done it who can report on how it went.

To fill it up again you really need a pump which can push the fluid up through the hole. I believe people have contrived solutions using bottles and long hoses, but really the pump is the way to do it. That's £75-100 depending on which one you get. I may consider lending mine if you don't have access to one. You also need VCDS to monitor the gearbox temperature.

Meyle and Febi do gaskets and possibly filters. Don't forget the o-ring for the filter. Audi fluid is about £15 a litre, but Febi also do an equivalent for £8 a litre. I've never tried the Febi myself but having spoken to a few D2 guys in the US they use it all the time so I will be getting some for my next change.
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Straightforward if you have the right tools. I suspect an epic pain in the posterior if you don't.

If you're going to drop the pan and do the filter then that isn't going to be pleasant on stands since access will be very limited to get to all the bolts out and then clean everything up and put the sump back on properly. If you over-torque the bolts you can bend the oil pan flange which then damages the gasket which then causes leaks so be careful with them - 10Nm. Personally I wouldn't try this job on stands but I'm sure someone on here will have done it who can report on how it went.

To fill it up again you really need a pump which can push the fluid up through the hole. I believe people have contrived solutions using bottles and long hoses, but really the pump is the way to do it. That's £75-100 depending on which one you get. I may consider lending mine if you don't have access to one. You also need VCDS to monitor the gearbox temperature.

Meyle and Febi do gaskets and possibly filters. Don't forget the o-ring for the filter. Audi fluid is about £15 a litre, but Febi also do an equivalent for £8 a litre. I've never tried the Febi myself but having spoken to a few D2 guys in the US they use it all the time so I will be getting some for my next change.

I know my way around the tool box, and anything I don't have I can buy. Wouldn't a manual pump work?

I would really want to keep to genuine parts on this one, I was quoted £300-350 for a service with genuine parts, just seeing if it's worth doing it myself or better leave it to pros.

Am I right to say you do work on these?
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:18 PM

This is the pump I use:

That's a reasonable price as long as they know what they are doing. It's easy to get it wrong.

I do work on D2s yes
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
This is the pump I use:

That's a reasonable price as long as they know what they are doing. It's easy to get it wrong.

I do work on D2s yes
PM sent
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:35 PM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYDRAULIC...xBOh:rk:7:pf:0

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Never heard of this brand of oil?
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunker7 View Post
Never heard of this brand of oil?
Fairly new in UK, more popular on continent, part of SCT

https://sct-germany.de/en/?action=about_history

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 24th February 2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Beat me to it. I have that kit on my Watch List, until such time as I can get access to a lift.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 7th March 2019, 05:54 AM

Thanks for the help guys. After calling around I couldn't find anyone with oil exchange equipment, so I will most likely attempt service myself.

Is it worth getting few liters extra and flush through gearbox with new fluid, just to get out as much of the old one as possible?