A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 15th December 2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
These bloody seeds keep appearing inside the car.
I can only assume it's a legacy of previous owners lack of attention and they're emerging from various nooks and crannies of the ventilation system/ducts as they slowly dry out.

I had a look under the bonnet today, which all appears bone dry, and noticed some of these seeds on the underside of the mesh grille over the ECU area; cabin air is drawn up through that to the filter in the bonnet.
The filters themselves are fairly clean (quite new) with no seeds visible on them so I guess they're trapped under the perforated cover.
I just blew through the mesh and a whole cloud of the damned things jetted out from the sides of the cover and thankfully blew away in the breeze.
Clearly there are still some hidden away under there; I'm guessing when the scuttle drains were blocked they overflowed into the car and the condenser tray, blocking that in turn.
Come the spring I'm going to get access to an airline and blast them all to hell!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th December 2014, 03:20 PM

You've got more seeds in that car than Kew Gardens. No Chickens?
Old 13th September 2017, 10:27 AM

The car is absolutely covered in those birch seeds in todays wind!

I've actually resorted to getting the handheld hoover out to clear them from the wiper area as a precaution!
(Cover is off as I used it yesterday and will be ADI on Saturday)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th September 2017, 08:06 AM

One potential place they may be getting in is past the foam 'seal' surrounding the HVAC intake on the plenum.
Part number: 4D0820513A
If you've never replaced it, it's probably starting to deteriorate.

Otherwise, the fit and finish on the pollen filter housings isn't perfect (there's an irony if ever I've come across one!). They do get a degree of positive sealing provided by the bonnet closure onto the outer plenum rubber covers, but it's all ageing. You could attempt to investigate that area to improve the gaps perhaps??

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 18th September 2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
One potential place they may be getting in is past the foam 'seal' surrounding the HVAC intake on the plenum.
Part number: 4D0820513A
If you've never replaced it, it's probably starting to deteriorate.
It definitely is and I've done a temporary fix with some foam sealing strip I had.
Subsequently bought some strip of the correct material/specification/cross-section to redo it; much cheaper and easier than chasing Audi for the part.

(Just not done it because I've been messing with my HVAC fan problem which needs access into the same area. Though it seems to be working OK at present. )
Old 19th September 2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Subsequently bought some strip of the correct material/specification/cross-section to redo it; much cheaper and easier than chasing Audi for the part.
Interesting, I bought a sealing strip that is 10mm deep, which I thought was more than adequate from what I saw of the OEM seal as I scraped it off.
After fitting the new material, from the marks made by the bonnet cutout, it's clear than it needs to be deeper towards the front of the car.
So I've added a second layer along the front edge and tapered strips at the side - the back (windscreen) edge is nice and tight.

Has anyone still got the Audi version fitted in decent condition to check the depth and if it is uniform all round?
Old 19th September 2017, 12:19 PM

I actually replaced mine - about 4 years ago now!
It was level all around, that much I remember.
I'll measure it when I get the chance...

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 19th September 2017, 12:31 PM

Yes, I was pretty sure that the seal I removed was the same thickness all round.

The stuff I've replaced it with is a bit like memory foam and shows a clear marking from the bonnet. From that it's obvious that the gap is maybe as small as 5mm or 6mm at the back but probably 12-15mm at the front!

The foam on the recirculation flaps in the intake is also quite tatty, but I'm not too bothered about that.
Old 19th September 2017, 02:25 PM

New seal with extra layers!

(The transparent pipe is my pre-installed tube for draining the scuttle )

The sharp-eyed among you may notice that the trim around the wipers is misaligned; I only noticed this recently after having that car for 4 years!

A job for another day, it needs to come off and be refitted properly; I understand there's a tongue that should go into a slot but probably hasn't raising the whole thing be a few mm in the centre.
That also allows more/larger crud from the windscreen to flow down into the scuttle area, adding to the blocked drains issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HVACseal.JPG
Views:	601
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	17060  

Last edited by HPsauce; 19th September 2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 28th September 2017, 03:02 PM

Now I've also fixed the scuttle panel seal to the windscreen I think these two items together have been a major contributor to my blocked drain woes.
The way I see it now is:
1. Debris washed down windscreen, bypasses trim with smallish mesh at base as it's very badly fitted. Large (and small) bits end up in scuttle eventually blocking those drains.
2. Degraded foam seal around HVAC intake allows air (and debris) to be drawn in directly from the scuttle area, bypassing the normal route through the pollen filter. Result is lighter/smaller bits, such as those damned birch seeds, gets into the HVAC system eventually blocking the aircon drains.

The new seal I've put around the HVAC intake, as the photo shows, is quite deep now at the front edge and a good tight fit. As is the trim at the base of the windscreen. Combining all that with regular use of car/windscreen covers and I'm optimistic of fewer "sloshing" incidents in future.
A good test is how many seeds come blasting out of the vents in the car in future.

Last edited by HPsauce; 3rd October 2017 at 03:34 PM.