A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 12th February 2016, 12:30 PM

Nice rant !! Love it...
Old 12th February 2016, 01:20 PM

Quality rant! lol

Just a suggestion if you currently have halogens have you tried looking online for an OEM Xenon swap using secondhand headlight units?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 12th February 2016, 01:26 PM

Maddness.....So how are you supposed to do this at the side of the road. No wonder i see so many people driving with a light out, which can be pretty bloody dangerous!!!

The manufacturers really need to sort this stupid logic out!
Old 12th February 2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcanico Lee View Post
use an a8 comfort seat on a transmission jack
Dear God, don't put ideas in Roberto's head, he'll be riding round with his head out of the sunroof in his "Galaudy" this summer if he sees this

Quality rant, there speaks a man of experience, numerous bad ones by the sounds of it

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 12th February 2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
Dear God, don't put ideas in Roberto's head, he'll be riding round with his head out of the sunroof in his "Galaudy" this summer if he sees this

Quality rant, there speaks a man of experience, numerous bad ones by the sounds of it
Hehehe , yeah head out of the sunroof with his Wallance and Grommit goggles on .

"Numerous bad experiences " hehe to be fair most of the time everything goes pretty well , but i find its the repairers who have to take the flak form the owners for the factorys maddness in the design ....... wouldnt you think they could design the car so an owner could do their own bulb change .

See thing is most of the designers have never worked on cars so they dont what its like ......chuck all the figures into a CAD and it will come out with how to shoehorn that engine in the smallest gap possible .......... but what about mantanace items ..... they dont factor this in ....... Renaults are the worst ......oil filters are an epic to get at on some models .... its rediculous !

Ive found the cheaper the car you work on the most aggro you will get from the owner ..... they have hardly any money to start with so when there rusty knacker needs more work than you quoted due to everything snapping off and being seized theres a big stink over it , i tend to quote an extra hour on the job to safeguard us for such circumstances .....if it goes ok just charge for the time it took , they expect us to sprinkle glitter on a turd and end up with a mars bar.

Saying that i have had a 2010 Bentley Continental in today for front pads .... owner has supplied his own pads ..... make ive never heard of, Frein something or other ..... i refused to do it .......... you see, we as a repairer have to warranty our work , if said set of pads break up and material seperates and the car crashes into a wall wrecking the car and whatever else and it goes to court who do you think takes the blame ........ its the garage .

The garage liability insurance will not cover in this instance because the garage didnot supply the parts .

Do any of you supply your own parts and then take it to a garage to be fitted ??
This will all stop sooner or later because liability insurance is stipulating that parts supplied by owners will not be covered in the effent of miss hap ........doesnt matter if there genuine parts , the repairer has to show invoices for this and any claim can be back tracked to the manufacturers of the parts if its a parts failure.
Old 12th February 2016, 02:36 PM

Glitter an a turd

Old 12th February 2016, 05:09 PM

I believe that the problem in Northern Ireland is one word in their MOT stipulation.
It says something like:-
When HIDs are fitted working headlight washers MUST be fitted.
UK says:-
When HIDs are fitted working headlight washers MAY be fitted.
This came up last year when we were discussing MOT failures due to headlights.

Lee, I really like your Haydock sense of humour. We need you at our meets even if it is only one of our North Westish ones.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 12th February 2016, 07:25 PM

Ray , I was looking at the owners meets ,I do want to come on one for sure , do you do a north west one , it's difficult for me to get away I have a two year old to look after and my girlfriend does a lot of weekend shifts , but anything close will come for sure .

Just with regards to the hids , I would if thought if it's got them it would have headlamp wash as standard ... I may be wrong though ??
Old 12th February 2016, 08:16 PM

Lee,

Meets, yes we do try to have a meet or two, TinTin(Steve) usually organises our "North Westish" ones. We do try to put on an A8 presence at the German Metal Show held annually at Haigh Hall, Wigan.

HIDs, when fitted OEM they have washers fitted. When retrofitted it means that you do not have to fit washers. But in Northern Ireland without working washers you would have a FAIL.
Seems silly to me, but then I am just a simple old man. I went into this when I wanted to swap to HIDs from halogens for my dipped beams. I did have problems with the ballasts causing all sorts of errors when the lights were switched on (Dis came up like an Xmas tree) . Swapped the ballasts and eventually managed to stop the interference. I think it was the nearside ballast being near the ABS block Hope that makes sense)

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)

Last edited by tc4332; 12th February 2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 13th February 2016, 02:18 PM

The HID thing stems from the Type Approval requirements, which are for headlight wash and auto levelling to be fitted with HID bulbs. In theory UK legislation requires aftermarket setups to have the same functionality, but it was watered down for the MOT as there's a couple of cars that are Type Approved without auto levelling. Apparently it was too difficult for a tester to determine that the HIDs were a retrofit - personally i can tell in about 10 seconds either by looking at the headlight body itself or looking at the dodgy wiring through the back of the bulb cap....

Stupid thing now is that if you have factory HIDs the car will fail if the headlight wash that was factory fitted doesn't work, but if you've got chav-tastic blue HIDs retrofitted without headlight wash, they'll pass!

The Irish have it right in this case, in my opinion.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC