A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Engine Bay

D4 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 1st November 2013, 02:25 PM

Ok, stop/start doesn't work.

Dealer is telling me the battery monitor connector is broken. Apparently this is in the boot, below the boot floor. So they want £167 to fix it.

Quite how this was broken I don't know, but it may be something to watch out for when buying a D4.

I'm begining to wonder what was done to the car by the first owner ...
Old 1st November 2013, 05:16 PM

1. Diagnostics and buggering about = £86.40
2. Labour = £47.48
3. Parts = £15.39
-------
£149.27

I suppose its worth knowing everything else checks out a-ok with no other issues. Car was washed and vacummed as well ...

Last edited by Stevie; 1st November 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 1st November 2013, 05:25 PM

Must be a common thing with people bringing them in, they actually have a handout about Stop/Start.

So for your stop/start to work ....
  • Outside air temperature to <sic> hot or cold (It sounds like Goldilocks )
  • Desired interior temperature not reached
  • Vehicle battery charge to <sic> low (below 80% charged) This was my issue
  • Last gear selected was reverse. (See my post on ramming the fence)
  • Steering wheel turned more than 60 degrees
  • Neutral gear not selected (Manual Transmission only)
  • Drivers seatbelt not fastened
  • Vehicle inclined (on a hill or a slope)

So basically it will work during a full moon on the 29th of February ....
Old 5th November 2013, 08:53 AM

Default Same problem

I had exactly the same problem with my car and VCDS reported that battery monitoring was not working, so I checked the connections at the battery and sure enough the little plug was broken and knocked off. I managed to fix it myself, so it's worth having a look under the spare wheel. The location of the connector is a model of bad design as it is a fragile connector almost bound to get broken whenever anyone removes the spare wheel, which you need to do to get the locking wheel nut.

One thing I find most annoying about this model is the way that it is almost impossible to bring the car to a smooth stop. No matter how hard I try it always jerks or rocks back when you come to be stationary. This seems like something to do with the start stop or gearbox programming. Not quite as bad as the lurch that afflicted Jaguars and BMWs with ZF 6 speed gearboxes, but nonetheless it's unacceptable.
Old 11th November 2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutherland View Post
I had exactly the same problem with my car and VCDS reported that battery monitoring was not working, so I checked the connections at the battery and sure enough the little plug was broken and knocked off. I managed to fix it myself, so it's worth having a look under the spare wheel. The location of the connector is a model of bad design as it is a fragile connector almost bound to get broken whenever anyone removes the spare wheel, which you need to do to get the locking wheel nut.

One thing I find most annoying about this model is the way that it is almost impossible to bring the car to a smooth stop. No matter how hard I try it always jerks or rocks back when you come to be stationary. This seems like something to do with the start stop or gearbox programming. Not quite as bad as the lurch that afflicted Jaguars and BMWs with ZF 6 speed gearboxes, but nonetheless it's unacceptable.
When you first start the engine its definately a bit lumpy, after its warmed up it seems ok to me. Maybe your brakes need looking at?

Its interesting when the engine restarts after a stop/start it does seem to clatter a bit, more than I would have expected ...
Old 18th December 2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutherland View Post
I have this exact problem. No matter how hard I try there is a last judder when stopping, never 100% smooth.

Did you get yours looked at?

J