A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 8th October 2011, 06:34 PM

Default rear caliper seized?

I tried to replace my rear discs and pads today. Unfortunately I was stopped in my tracks by a caliper that wont rewind back in. also the boot has come off, and has been off for some time judging by how dry the piston is underneath, almost no grease at all.
Is this a completely done-for caliper or could it be that the handbrake cable has seized and wont let the piston rewind? Not sure why it wont rewind back in.
I left the handbrake off throughout, although I let the car roll back on the front brakes when in park, would this have applied the rear brakes too?

I forgot to add, another bit of evidence is that the pads on this caliper are almost gone, down to the backing plate, whilst the pads on the other side are still good, maybe more than 10mm left. I guess this is a sign that it has been seized for a while now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear caliper small.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	2411  

Last edited by Goran; 8th October 2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 8th October 2011, 07:50 PM

definitelty seized for a while. You could try a caliper kit from Audi and try to clean it up yourself with emery paper.

I know.. I know..

Old 9th October 2011, 09:08 AM

Have a look in the repair sticky , as i done a repair for handbrake on the caliper, won't help you if it is the cable but once you remove the caliper from the car and cable you'll be able to test the cable to see if it's sticking. As said Audi sell caliper referb kits can't remember how much they are but have the boots in.
Old 9th October 2011, 03:14 PM

thanks for advice guys, Dezzy I saw your repair thread, thats what I shouls have done, took it off the car and take apart. It wasnt the cable that was stuck, the piston itself was coroded to the wall of the caliper, no gap on one side, gap on the other side. WD40 didnt work. Unfortunately I lost my patience and went at it with a hammer now its totally busted, cracked the aluminium housing.

I'm going to get a second hand one, not paying Audi £300 for a new one.
Lesson learned, dont let pads go down to the metal.
Old 9th October 2011, 06:18 PM

£300? I got mine for £120ish as I recall. Want me to dig out the supplier?

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.
Old 10th October 2011, 09:42 AM

yes please Billblank, if a new one can be got for £120 that would be excellent.
I think I managed to source a second hand one for £45, but if the other side is seized too I may as well replace with a new caliper.
I may be wrong about the £300, its actually 218 euros on Vagcat so with vat probably around £260 from Audi.
Old 10th October 2011, 11:01 AM

this any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...E:B:SS:GB:1123

Adrian
Old 11th October 2011, 12:15 PM

dont know, I'd rather stick with stock. I picked up the second hand one yesterday for £45.

I also want to replace the caliper carrier, one pin is a bit wobbly.
Does anyone know if the first part of a part number matters, ie, is 4D0615425B
the same as 447615425B?
I read its just the body shape code, what if the same part is used on different cars?
Old 11th October 2011, 04:10 PM

The 4D0 part number comes up as shared across the A6/S6 range from 98-2005, plus the '8 obviously from 99-03, also the VW Passat from 2001-05.

They're over £150 from what I can tell from ETKA!

The other part number comes up with hits for the Audi 100 from 1985-94, 200 from 85-91. A6 from 95-97, A8 from 94-99, Quattro from 80-91, old school S6 from '97 and the V8 from 89-94.
Old 11th October 2011, 07:41 PM

yes, its different, going by these pictures, the facelift part is longer. The pre-facelift guys are in luck, their version can be got for £65 new.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-100-A...item27be2c8ed3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	2416