A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 25th January 2022, 02:12 PM

Not played with a D3 S8.

I run a 4.2 v8 petrol sport D3 and have done for ~3 years. It's the more luxury feeling, certainly newer tech and is a comfy motorway cruiser.

I had a D2 FL S8 for 3-4 years and it was stunning. Plenty of grunt and pick up and an awesome car. Certainly preferred the looks. It's a bit basic by comparison but not really in any way that matters and is certainly more connected to the driving experience.
The PF i had for a short while however was very basic, but with the most amazing carpets!

The 0-60 numbers between my PF D3 and D2 S8 are not that far apart, however the S8 always felt quick, my D3 doesn't, it just wafts rapidly to whatever speed you want.

I recall IT saying about the D2 v D3 v D4 years back, that it's about engagement. For a blast the D2, if you want to arrive as you started, then the D3 and if you want to arrive more relaxed than you started the D4

The FL D2 is certainly more the drivers car - Well.....Assuming the mechanics, those chain guides on the earlier engine are a sod, the gearbox too, the petrol in 4.2 in way more reliable as appears the gearbox!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 14th February 2022, 10:47 AM

And *SOMEONE* tried, maybe successfully to flip it on ebay, only not really mentioning half of the information

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-S8-4...rdt=true&rt=nc

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 14th February 2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
And *SOMEONE* tried, maybe successfully...
Looks to be the case as it's not on their website either.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 14th February 2022, 08:04 PM

The D2 S8 is about finesse and balance, its a ballerina.
Whereas the D3 S8 is brutal almost violent, something of a heavyweight boxer.
They are very different, and each excellent in their own way.
If you're in love with the way a D2 feels then I'd say skip the D3 and go for a D4.
But that beautiful V10 is an itch in need of scratching....
Old 15th February 2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
But that beautiful V10 is an itch in need of scratching....
So far it's turned in to full blown eczema for me
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 3rd March 2022, 06:17 AM

I brought it back in the end.

Not very happy was told engine was repaired paid more to have back than I sold it for and car is no different now

Not happy at all
Old 3rd March 2022, 06:24 AM

Anyone ever put cayenne 4.5 turbo engine in a d2. Turbos look in a better position for engine bay
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliss2 View Post
Anyone ever put cayenne 4.5 turbo engine in a d2. Turbos look in a better position for engine bay
Think you find it will be a tight squeeze as the lump is longer and taller - the sump would be dragging!!

Anyway that's the extent of what i would know - The Oracle (MJ) might be along later to put you right
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:53 AM

Yeah the Porsche V8 is a big lump of stuff and shares nothing with the Audi V8s. The Audi V8s are wide but very short due to being derived from a FWD platform and having the whole engine in front of the front axle. None of the other manufacturers have similar constraints, all having started with RWD so they're generally quite a bit longer, and usually taller as they sit further back in the engine bay. The LSx can just about be made short enough with cunning combinations of accessory drives from various models, but thats practically impossible in the UK since we just don't have enough of them to play with.
Old 3rd March 2022, 04:49 PM

Lol. Just weighing up transplant options before I consider a rebuild of engine. As will have to do both heads really if I do one. Not what I was thinking when I brought the car back..
..Guess experience tells me that anyone says they can weld a head to repair and not even removing it from the engine is full of poo. Real shame as I felt I had made the right choice buying the car back on the 200 mile journey home.....well until smoke poured out of the bonnet when I pulled up outside the house.
Annoyingly the car also needs two wheels respraying as well now.