A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 30th June 2021, 06:46 PM

From memory a tyre can be classed as ‘new’ so long as the build date is less than 5 years ago - I might struggle to find a reference for that, but sticks in my mind from when I worked on tyre policy stuff…..

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 30th June 2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
From memory a tyre can be classed as ‘new’ so long as the build date is less than 5 years ago - I might struggle to find a reference for that, but sticks in my mind from when I worked on tyre policy stuff…..
I thought it was 2 years

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 30th June 2021, 08:01 PM

Quoted from Black Circles - the same quoted elsewhere:

Quote:
Does the age of a tyre matter?
Tyre Safety: 5 Year Rule

Tyres are considered to be “new” and fit for retail up to 5 years from the date of production.

This is an industry standard based on the German BRV.

When in use, it is recommended that tyres are replaced when they reach 7 - 10 years old, (6 years in the case of caravans or trailers).
There is a school of thought that a slightly older ‘new’ tyre will last longer as they’ve hardened a bit in storage so won’t go through that heavy initial wear that very recently cured new tyres will go through

Basically if you’ll use up these tyres before they get to an age where they might be cracking or hardening then nothing to worry about

ETA - storage conditions are key with tyres - dark and consistent temperature are important.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 1st July 2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Quoted from Black Circles - the same quoted elsewhere:

There is a school of thought that a slightly older ‘new’ tyre will last longer as they’ve hardened a bit in storage so won’t go through that heavy initial wear that very recently cured new tyres will go through

Basically if you’ll use up these tyres before they get to an age where they might be cracking or hardening then nothing to worry about

ETA - storage conditions are key with tyres - dark and consistent temperature are important.
I agree with this - I've never had an issue with slightly "older" tyres, and my opinion (not expert!) is that, in terms of degradation of tyre materials, it's the rubber rather than the other component materials that you need to be careful with. That's pretty easy to spot as cracking or hardening, either by yourself or via the tyre fitter.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 1st July 2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
dark and consistent temperature are important.
How dark is dark Adrian? I have my spare (summer vs winter) tyres/wheels stored in a standalone brick garage (not part of my house) which does have a (dirty, cobwebbed!) window, but at best inside is "dim" and the tyres are nowhere near any shafts of sunlight that might penetrate!
And of course the temperature varies through the day/night/seasons, though not the same as sitting outside.
I've always assumed that was a fairly benign environment for them so I haven't put them in covers.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 1st July 2021, 10:50 AM

Should be fine Andrew - what you don’t want (but is often the case when buying tyres) is for them to have spent a few years in a shipping container, which although dark will get roasting hot in summer and damp and wet in winter. Effectively it will age the tyres more due to extremes of temperature and moisture than they’ll benefit from being in the dark

My spare wheels sit in the integral garage - the summer set are probably getting due to be changed on age grounds as I can see cracking in the outer tread area from cornering. They’re Michelin Super Sports but date to week 4 of 2015! The winter set need changing as my wife drove over a box of long screws in the road and destroyed 2 of them!

Old 1st July 2021, 02:18 PM
Banned

That's why I got all seasons, I will just use them up instead of throwing away good sets due to cracking, A8 is not my main car anyway (shame)
Old 2nd July 2021, 05:28 PM
Banned

Wheels and tyres are on.. used the all season BF's as per Mikki's suggestion and she was right, they are excellent and quiet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210702_124653.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	937.1 KB
ID:	26677