A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 10th July 2019, 09:46 AM

Sorry everyone, forget my previous request I have managed to find some. After initial response, main dealer has now found some for me.
Old 10th July 2019, 09:47 AM

Sorry everyone, forget my previous request I have managed to find some. After initial response, main dealer has now found some for me
Old 10th July 2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
Hello again all.

I am having trouble locating a part, for my suspension refurb 4D0505171L. Main dealer says NLA.

I have ordered from an online parts supplier in Europe but in all honesty am simply expecting them to end up refunding my money when they have wasted my time for a week or two.

Does anyone know of an alternative, I don't seem to be able to find any after market suppliers?

Thanks Frank
Argh. There are no aftermarket versions of those I guess its time to try and persuade Meyle to make some.
Old 10th July 2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Argh. There are no aftermarket versions of those I guess its time to try and persuade Meyle to make some.
Market probably too small for them. Might have a better luck with some small company making custom poly bushes but limited run will not be too cheap.

Does the PU needs to be moulded or can you turn them out from a bigger piece on a lathe?

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 10th July 2019, 07:30 PM

It appears you can https://www.directplastics.co.uk/polyurethane-rod
Max diameter is 61mm from this site.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 10th July 2019, 08:03 PM

I've tried turning polyurethane rod - that exact stuff from Direct in fact. Total machinist's nightmare! It just bends out of the way of the tool Casting it is much easier. Turn an aluminium version on the lathe, make a silicone mould of it, and then pour in 2-part poly compound.

I've spoken to Powerflex about custom bushes before - they are happy to help, but I have concerns over noise, ride quality and longevity with poly. They never seem to last any decent length of time because the metal sleeves corrode and grit gets down the middle and just grinds them away. Now the original bushes are NLA though, I may have to just try it and see what happens.

Meyle already make one of the rear bushes, albeit only because it was also used on the Audi 100. They might see a market for D2s worldwide, especially since they use four of each part. They're the only manufacturer still making lower arms for the 20" D2, and there can't be much of a market for those, although that is only a difference in the balljoint pin.

I'll ask anyway...
Old 11th July 2019, 11:04 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
I've spoken to Powerflex about custom bushes before - they are happy to help, but I have concerns over noise, ride quality and longevity with poly. They never seem to last any decent length of time because the metal sleeves corrode and grit gets down the middle and just grinds them away. Now the original bushes are NLA though, I may have to just try it and see what happens.
You could try this place too: https://www.fibet.co.uk

I contacted them a few months ago when I had my rear subframe replaced and was struggling to get hold of a rear diff support bracket (I used one from a D3 in the end, which was a perfect fit BTW). Fibet were really helpful and were willing to make custom one-off bushes. All they required was the dimensions. They did warn me that the bushes may not perform the same as the originals (might be better, might be worse), given that the original bushes were a more complex shape. So, understandably, they made it clear that fitting them would be experimental and at my own risk.

They also stated "We don’t have a minimum order quantity just a carriage charge of £11 + VAT for order values below £150."

If you want to contact them, their general email address is sales@fibet.co.uk and the very helpful general manager I dealt with is a guy called Mike Connor: mconnor@fibet.co.uk
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 11th July 2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11th July 2019, 11:18 AM

I was trying to remember who that was! Thank you

I've got TPS trying to track down some originals to use as templates so I will get in touch with Fibet and see if they can duplicate them
Old 13th July 2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I was trying to remember who that was! Thank you

I've got TPS trying to track down some originals to use as templates so I will get in touch with Fibet and see if they can duplicate them
MJ, BKS Tuning in Germany currently have 10 (OEM) in stock. They can be found here:

https://www.bks-tuning.com/4d0505171l.html

I recently got something from them that not even Audi had.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 13th July 2019, 03:54 PM

Thanks According to Exeter TPS they are still available, and I have a full set arriving for stock on Monday