A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 1st May 2021, 01:22 PM
Banned

Default 2.8 v6 non start issue

Hello.. bit of a long read:

My alternator failed draining the battery, and as it was being drained car started misfiring and engine was shaking and popping quite a bit so i switched it off.

I then took the alternator off and the battery out and fitted it all back in about a month later (work commitments didn't allow me to do it quicker)
The battery dating from 2008 was fully charged/tested and a brand new alternator fitted.

I started the car up and it ran for about 30s but once again super lumpy with pops/misfiring and bangs,
I've cleared all the DTC's and tried again (codes were to do with oem radio being taken out and parking sensors, nothing else), and the car would start but gradually run for shorter and shorter periods of time..

I've reseated all the HT leads, snapping one of them but quickly got a new set from prestige..

The car now doesn't start at all but cranks very fast and well, there's no DTC's except for battery current too low (obviously from all the cranking) but after charging the battery again and reseting the code still nothing.

I've checked the fuel lines going into the distribution rail on top of the engine there's fuel in it. Checked all the fuses too.

I've tried running the car with fuel pump fuse out in caise the eingine was flooded - made no difference.

The car was sat with fuel level just a tad above reserve for a month on an uneven surface with the front facing down..

Could it be the fuel pump being out of fuel due to low level/angle.. or maybe the coil pack?
Or maybe the battery from 2008 ( even though it tested fine on the battery tester) can hold the voltage but not the amps? I've had a similar issue on my 06 focus with a super old battery too.

I'm really out of patience with this car.. i fix one thing and 2 more break
Old 1st May 2021, 02:56 PM

Fuel pump. This same thing happened to Mike's murple a while back - as the battery voltage drops the pump pulls more and more current and until it burns itself out.
Old 1st May 2021, 03:57 PM
Banned

Thanks Mikki.

So aftear searching the forums, I'll need a new gasket set and a pump.. expensive
Old 1st May 2021, 04:26 PM

You don't usually need the gasket set - just the seal washers for the pressure hose. Everything else is usually fine.

The pump is about £120 from ebay sellers Or Autodoc. Buy the genuine VDO unit and don't waste time asking Euro or GSF I'll find some links later if you need them.
Old 1st May 2021, 04:47 PM
Banned

If you can share the links for the seal that would be great. I have just ordered the VDO pump. Thanks again

Found the o-ring info:

"69x2.5mm for the top one under the cap, 112x2.0 for the larger one in the pump body." - credit to Mikki.

Last edited by Ronin; 2nd May 2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10th May 2021, 07:52 PM
Banned

Just got my VDO pump in a Continental box from autodoc... Apparently both brands are the same entity
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210510_202615.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	556.9 KB
ID:	26362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210510_210108.jpg
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	26363  
Old 16th May 2021, 07:46 PM
Banned

Replacing the fuel motor made no difference.....

Fuel level was 1 bar above red, so i topped it up with 15l more so it went to half tank, with a bith of cranking the engine came to life So it looks like the pump motor failed and also there was not enough fuel in the tank, as when i took the pump out to replace the motor it wa full of fuel.

There is a slow leak from the fuel line banjo bolt, and according to ETKA those washers can't be ordered separately, one is a crush washer and another one is a bonded rubber bush.. does anyone have any alternative spares for this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.png
Views:	198
Size:	484.8 KB
ID:	26394  

Last edited by Ronin; 16th May 2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old 16th May 2021, 07:54 PM

The fuel banjo on top of the tank? They are two of the same crush washer N 0138128 (12x15.5x1.5).
Old 16th May 2021, 08:05 PM
Banned

Thanks Mikki,

So 2 crush washers.. Mine had some weird combo as someone has been in there already and broke a lot of bits
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.png
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	26395   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	198
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	26396  
Old 19th May 2021, 06:43 PM
Banned

OK, the car now runs, has power and no DTC's but...

There is an aux belt rattle when idling on low RPM, it dissapears as soon as i touch the throttle but it comes back shortly after.
Tensioner was replaced 500 miles ago and working fine with old alternator.

My theory is that the brand new alternator that i fitted before the whole fuel pump issue doesn't have the freewheel alternator pulley, it only has the simple solid one.

Could this be causing this issue? Lots of alternators in the 2.8 found in Superb's Passat's and Golf's do not have the freewheel pulley...

Videos attached to show you what I mean.
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 1.mp4 (26.37 MB, 241 views)
File Type: mp4 2.mp4 (15.29 MB, 215 views)