A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Common Faults

D2 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 31st October 2022, 04:23 PM

Exclamation Central locking

Hi, just bought my first A8 D2 2000 3.7 quattro.
As not experienced car buying guy didn't check things out properly as I was too excited to own it and drive it back home...
Central locking doesn't work on doors or boot or fuel cap with key or key fob, only locks driver's door by turning key in door manually, so have to lock each door separate from inside. Using key fob car does flash indicators but not actually locking or unlocking doors. Holding down unluck button all windows does come down so guessing it's not key fob's fault. One question, where do I start? Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 04:37 PM

Ok, so the fob and central locking module are responding at least, but it sounds like the pump isn't. Do you get a buzzing sound from the rear left when you try to lock or unlock? Does anything happen when you press the lock/unlock button on the driver's door?

There are two locking vacuum circuits. Its not uncommon to get a leak in one of them, but both at once is pretty unlikely so I'm thinking failed pump motor, or an internal leak.

Welcome by the way
Old 1st November 2022, 10:39 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

If the pump is working, you should be able to hear it quite clearly when you activate the central locking, if you stick your head in the boot, towards the back, on the near side.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 1st November 2022, 11:14 AM

I think the common failure point for pump is wear of pump part so you can still hear motor running it's just not sucking any more. There used to be sensibly priced aftermarket kits available in the past when there was lot of older Audi's with vacuum pumps on the road but it seems with them disappearing from the roads most repair kits have gone as well.

Here is one on eBay but for way more than I remember them selling in the past. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154439594...mis&media=COPY

Of course just a vacuum leak somewhere in the tubing is common as well.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Tags
central locking