A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 29th December 2021, 05:45 PM

Default First pad change from new

Well the front and rear pads finally needed changing. The rears seem to have worn slight quicker than the fronts and were changed a few months ago. The fronts had their indicator light come on less than 200 miles ago but after reading a post on here and not wanting to cause any damage to the ceramic discs, I had them done. The pads looked like they still had some meat on them until I checked the inner pads. One side, they literally had a couple of mil left on them if that! Close call

Rears were £320 and fronts were £373 incl VAT which isn't a bad outlay after nearly 14 years and 102k miles
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 30th December 2021, 06:24 PM

What are the pads made of do you know ? It's fair going that
With Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System, Advanced Parking System, TV Analog/ Digital, Rear/Back Window blinds, Front and rear heated seats, Alcantara Roof, Extended leather Pack 2, Extended Aluminium pack, Carbon and Aluminium trim packs, RSE, PS2.
Daily driver
Audi A8 d4 2014 phantom black 3.0 tdi

Previously owned
Audi 80 1986 1.8 white
Audi 80 1990 2.0 red
Audi A4 1996 1.9 tdi green
Audi A6 1.9 tdi 2000 blue
Audi tt 225 2000 silver
Audi s8 d2 2002 fe grey
Audi a8 4.0 tdi d3 2006 black
Audi a8 3.0 tdi d3 2010 black
Old 31st December 2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S81 View Post
What are the pads made of do you know ? It's fair going that
Not sure. The garage I used said they looked similar to normal pads but on checking part numbers they are not used on any other vehicles unless they have ceramic brakes (Lambo etc). They felt fairly similar to other pads but must be different.

I saw a post on FB of someone having fitted some Febi pads which were said to be for PR 1LW and were about £40 but I didn't want to chance it incase it damaged the discs, especially when they last so long
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 31st December 2021, 04:59 PM

At 100k miles I would be weighting discs to see if they need replacing as well as there is no wear/thickness change on ceramic. But you done well making pads last 100k so maybe discs are fine too.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 31st December 2021, 06:11 PM

Similar experience to mine... In that the rears ware faster; as do the inner fronts.

My discs were all replaced with new under warrantee (due to cracking) much earlier in its lifetime. Although they should be lasting far more than 100k. Especially given the seemingly light use in your case. Some resources report a standard life over 200k miles (350k kms). So I would not worry about weighing them just yet. Although, I would be interested to know the risks of using a worn ceramic disc past it's lifetime (< weight specs).

When it comes to replacement, the options are to have them refurbished, swap out for steel (keeping the calipers and centre disc bell housings) or brand new. I would rule out brand new when my time comes. Refurb to keep OEM might be an option however...
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 1st January 2022, 01:35 PM

I would expect the discs to last a lot longer than 100k. I'm sure there is a wear indicator in the form of darker circles on the disc.

When/if they need replacing, I would probably look at refurbishment but haven't really looked into it.

@kele I think it was your post that I previously read regarding the points you made