A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 14th February 2017, 08:53 AM

Good luck David!!

Incidentally you'll love the mileage readings on my D2's new MOT!
Must drive it more in the coming year!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mileage.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	15652  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 14th February 2017, 09:48 AM

Neil - could the F125 have been swapped from your old box? Not unknown for mechanical parts to arrive sans-electronics and for everything to be moved across.

The rear seal is poor, but I guess the box itself will have been sat for some time while the seal dried out long before it went in your car

Presume it has the updated flange, not that that improves it much! Having a couple of loose bolts on the gearbox sump can give a similar amount of oil, although it's gearbox not diff oil so it should be possible to tell by smell.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 14th February 2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Neil - could the F125 have been swapped from your old box? Not unknown for mechanical parts to arrive sans-electronics and for everything to be moved across.

The rear seal is poor, but I guess the box itself will have been sat for some time while the seal dried out long before it went in your car

Presume it has the updated flange, not that that improves it much! Having a couple of loose bolts on the gearbox sump can give a similar amount of oil, although it's gearbox not diff oil so it should be possible to tell by smell.
Hi Adrian - no it was definitely all new at the time the box was changed, you can see it on the picture of the new box that I took at the time, it was complete with everything and even had fluid already in the box from new as my garage at the time returned the additional fluid we had bought for it.

Im not sure about the updated flange - pic attached but can you tell from that? I would hope that it was but have no idea. MkOneMan (James) knows the smell well and diagnosed the leaky seal so I have no doubt that he is correct unfortunately

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G2.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	15654  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 14th February 2017, 12:01 PM

I don't think you can tell from that angle ref the flange seal - the part numbers for the oil seal are different, as the technical difference in the flange is an extra machined area on the inside face to allow a longer lip seal to be fitted.

I don't obviously have the file of receipts for my old car now to confirm which is which, but think it's been covered on here in the past. Think there's an additional letter on the part number IIRC?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 14th February 2017, 04:46 PM

Just checked with the garage and the car has failed again on emissions. When I checked the car with VCDS this morning there were no fault codes (bar some alarm triggers). However, BrianG had tried to clear the EML/CEL light on our way back from the Exhaust fitters last night (as we both stopped to get Valentine's Day stuff for our dearly beloveds!) but the light stayed on. I cleared all DTCs down and the EML/CEL light went out this time. But the garage told me it was on when they took it to the MoT bay.

The usual DTC I get - which I thought was normally associated with the 200 cell sports cats (as fitted) is the
"16804 - Catalyst System; Bank 1
P0420 - 35-10 - Efficiency Below Threshold - Intermittent"
The garage has still got the car and will run VAGCOM on it asap but, any ideas anyone?
Old 14th February 2017, 10:01 PM

permission to say **** please...not good news David, hopefully get it sorted out soon

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 14th February 2017, 11:19 PM

******* ***** this is.
I hope you will find a fix soon David.
Stay positive is the best advice I can give you, it does help.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 15th February 2017, 07:03 AM

Which value or values exactly did the emissions fail on (CO,CH, or lambda and was it at fast idle or natural idle). I seem to remember somebody gutted out cats and it still was passing MOT just fine.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 15th February 2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Which value or values exactly did the emissions fail on (CO,CH, or lambda and was it at fast idle or natural idle). I seem to remember somebody gutted out cats and it still was passing MOT just fine.
Not sure Ainar, when I called by the garage yesterday pm they hadnt got the printed report from the MoT guys (same garage - just the the MoT bay is in their other premises along the road. The fail values were what I was going to chase up this morning.
Thanks for the commiserations. I guess I might be looking at lambda sensor (or sensor positioning on the sports cats)??
Old 15th February 2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I seem to remember somebody gutted out cats and it still was passing MOT just fine.
All this talk about cats at the mo I've been wanting to ask that. I have seen other stuff pass with empty cats but I've not tried it with a V8.

I wonder what the ECU would do if the second O2s were disconnected? Obviously it would throw a code, but it might just run closed loop on the first sensors only which could be diagnostically useful. My MoT guy tells me an EML on is not in itself a failure, unlike for airbags and ABS.

Were the cats properly hot when it was tested? Our TT needs a sound thrashing before it goes in (such a chore ) otherwise that fails, even with the engine nice and warm.