A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 20th October 2017, 04:58 PM

Default Auto darkening mirrors

Hi guys. now that my starting issues are resolved its time to get down to fixing the other annoying niggles that the car has.

One of these is that the driver's side auto darkening mirror very often auto darkens - and stays dark, meanwhile the rear view mirror stops working altogether. The passenger side is not affected due to being a non - darkening replacement.

The problem always occurs on start-up and as far as I can make out can only be fixed by pulling the battery for a few seconds. I originally thought it was due to the car struggling to start and causing various electrical glitches but it has since done it with the fixed starting.

So for the questions: Has anyone experienced this before/know what causes it and know how to stop it happening or even how to reset them without pulling the battery?

I'm slightly suspicious of the power management module. It doesnt communicate with my crappy copy of VCDS so I cant see if it has any faults logged. It seems the auto darkening mirrors are expensive to replace and there is something of a waiting list for them! I would really like to replace both the wing mirrors though as I constantly get dazzled by the passenger side one and the liquid inside the drivers side one leaves a little to be desired.

gill
Old 20th October 2017, 06:22 PM

I'd disconnect the drivers side one and see how the system behaves; it could have a fault that is throwing the control module off?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 21st October 2017, 10:31 AM

Its worth a try. I should have mentioned that there are no faults logged on VCDS fo the mirrors. when the drivers side mirror goes dark the rear view fails to go dark.

My suspicion is that it is some sort of voltage spike type fault due to it only happening when the engine is starting, but that is purely a suspicion. Its one of those faults that is a niggle, but an annoying niggle all the same haha.
Old 21st October 2017, 06:29 PM

How clever are the dimming mirrors in a D3? I suspect the answer is "not in the least" but I don't know the setup.

Most systems are remarkably simple - a sensor (usually two, one for daylight, the other for detecting headlights behind) in the interior mirror and a very simple control circuit that varies a voltage to all 3 mirror glasses (interior, left and right) to control the dimming.

So just replacing the interior mirror unit may fix it. £26.59 from our sponsors: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A8-D3...-/170928366722
I'm sure other colours are also available if that doesn't match.

Of course, as you probably know, the exterior mirror glass is in a separate price category.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 21st October 2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 22nd October 2017, 10:08 AM

Are the interior mirrors the same for the D2 and the D3? They certainly look the same. I have a D2 one sitting around already.

I will wait and see if it continues doing it before I start taking bits apart. It has only done it the once since the starting problem was sorted.
Old 19th November 2017, 03:06 PM

Ok, so this is getting annoying now. It is consistently below freezing every morning up here now. This takes more juice from the battery to start it which seems to be what is causing the fault with the mirrors. I will try changing the rear view mirror and see if that makes any difference seeing as I have one (D2 though).

I wonder if the keyless entry is draining the battery overnight enough to cause the problem. I wonder if the countless jump starts and battery drains from the hot start issue I used to have has damaged the circuitry?? There are so many variables for what should be a fairly simple system its bordering on alarming!
Old 19th January 2018, 06:16 PM

Just an update. Wing mirrors still going black/rear view not working on just about every cold start. Still work after battery disconnect.

I took the roof mopdule apart so that I could get the mirror off to try the D2 one. Although externally the mirrors are identical the wiring and plugs are different so that was a non starter.

Given that there are so many wires going between the mirror and the roof module, Im dubious that changing the mirror would make any difference. I suspect its all controlled from the roof module.

I'm going to see what the CCA rating on my land rover battery is and if its suitable I will try it in the D3 and see if its any better. Can try the one out of the D2 as well, its sitting on a trickle charger in my workshop. If it stops the problem then I will buy a new 900/1000 CCA AGM battery.

If I cant find out what the problem is I'm tempted to disconnect the mirror altogether and fit the manual one from the D2. There are so many people driving around with fog lights permanently on, plus super bright LED/xenon headlights combined with hilly country roads and a 26 mile commute that I cant deal with the dazzle if the rear view isnt working. I can deal with the wing mirrors going dark, but the rear view is a nightmare hence the twice daily battery pull.
1990 Land Rover 90 factory county station wagon with all the luxury additions, such as a clock and a tape player.
2007 A4 3.0TDi s-line cabriolet quattro
2000 A8 D2 2.8 quattro, looking for a new home - gone
2003 A6 3.0 quattro, in the way... anyone want any parts? - gone
Old 19th January 2018, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Auto dim mirrors in the D3 are controlled by the roof module.

They are prone to water damage if you have a sunroof

Checking it for errors would be a good start.

You can also check the measuring blocks to see how bright the car thinks the lights behind are and thus how much dim it should apply.

Worst case the dimming mirrors can be coded out from the roof module completely and they shouldn't ever dim again....

I wouldn't expect any interoperability between D2 and D3, even if there are visual similarities. They are over a decade apart design wise....

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Old 20th January 2018, 10:28 AM

I dont have a sunroof, so can rule that one out at least.

I have tried looking for errors/fault codes, but I cant find any mention of them at all in VCDS. I can find heated mirrors but no auto dimming. No errors for them come up in auto scans. VCDS didnt run very well on my little windows tablet (no communication with the majority of modules) It works better on my big laptop, although that is what I used last time and still couldnt find any mention of the auto dimming mirrors.

Checking measuring blocks for how bright it thinks the lights are (assuming I could find them in VCDS) wouldnt achieve much as they work perfectly when they do work.

Coding them out altogether is not an option as the problem is the dazzle from drivers behind in the rear view - it's only the wing mirrors which darken permanently (when in fault), the rear view stays bright.

This only happens when starting the car from cold. To me it seems like the starter is drawing so much from the battery that the voltage supplied to the roof module is reduced causing the fault.

i dont know whether the power management module is meant to prevent this and is therefore at fault, or how to test it. It may be that the battery itself is knackered. With the starting problems that i had, the car was getting jump started pretty much daily, and turning a dead engine for ages at a time until it caught so it could well be FUBAR. I have two batteries for it, and they are both much the same.

I checked the battery in the land rover last night and it is 850 CCA. not as much as I'd like, but it should do to test the battery hypothesis. After that I suppose I can only really try the shotgun parts technique and change out the roof module and try that, if not, the the battery management module would be my next guess. Guessing however is as good as it gets at the moment.

Worst case scenario, I'll fit the manual rear view out of the D2. It will mean no ambient lighting and no map reading lights (different wiring connectors) but I can at least flip the little tab at the bottom to darken the mirror when Mr I-dont-care-if-its-not-foggy-I'm-driving-a-corsa-and-am-therefore-better-than-you-and-Im-going-to-blind-you-with-my-foglights-like-a-**** is driving right up my tailpipe looking like a spaceship.

gill
1990 Land Rover 90 factory county station wagon with all the luxury additions, such as a clock and a tape player.
2007 A4 3.0TDi s-line cabriolet quattro
2000 A8 D2 2.8 quattro, looking for a new home - gone
2003 A6 3.0 quattro, in the way... anyone want any parts? - gone
Old 20th January 2018, 12:38 PM

Is the current battery a genuine VAG one and is it coded to the car?

Currently:
2015 Audi A8 4H Sport Executive Quattro in Monsoon Grey