A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 26th November 2016, 05:19 PM

Default It's been emotional.....

Hi folks

As some of you may know I've been debating selling my FE for some time, with occasional half-hearted posts suggesting I might let it go, but no real effort going into advertising. I nearly had a buyer a couple of months ago, but it fell through due to change in his circumstances.

Well today I bid farewell to the S8 - it's currently on a long road trip to Glasgow where it's taking up residence with another fanatical Audi owner who happens to have need for a family wagon. It's basically the same reasoning that saw me buying the S8 6 years ago Hopefully Andy will register on here and may well be seen by the others on here who know the car that live up that way.

I can't recall being this emotional about selling a car, ever. I've been feeling properly depressed all afternoon

It probably doesn't help that the sale is partly due to hoping to move house and wanting the space and cash for the costs with that, but the market seems very slow round here at the moment, so no immediate plans for a replacement to cushion the feeling of loss. Long term I want an RS6 Avant, but may need to buy something small and sensible in the New Year if the house isn't progressing.

I'm sure I'll hang around on here as I've always enjoyed posting, both to learn stuff myself and to help others out.

Thanks to Neil for the help he's given in finding the right home for the S8 and to Chris from AOC who has also helped point people my way.

Life goes on, but a little poorer for the loss of my S8

Cheers all

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 26th November 2016, 05:31 PM

A big day Adrian, and I can imagine how that must feel, given your attachment to the car and the attention you gave it. At least you know it's gone to a good home, which I know I'd want to know, if I ever came to sell mine.

Please stick around - it'll help with the therapy , and your knowledge and opinion will continue to be appreciated on here. I think we also have a rule that S8 members are also life members at meets don't we? - so we'll no doubt see you then.

Anyway, I think S8 ownership is like a boomerang, it'll come back to you sometime...

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 26th November 2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I can't recall being this emotional about selling a car, ever. I've been feeling properly depressed all afternoon
I know how you feel. I was the same way when I traded my first D2 because the gearbox was dead. This was 6 months before A8parts started trading, and it was beyond my ability to fix it at the time. I traded it for a diesel Jag X type It seemed like a good idea at the time, but the drive home from York to Devon was somewhat solemn, and that car turned out to be the worst POS I've ever owned. It took me 8 years to get another one.

I'm sure an RS6 will satisfy the big Audi lust in due course though

Oh, and I'll have a 1.4 Polo, a C5 TDI Avant, and a B5 TDI Avant available at various times in the spring so if any of those are suitably sensible drop me a line
Old 26th November 2016, 06:07 PM

Glad to hear it's gone to a good home at least Adrian, must have indeed been a sad day for you......can't imagine ever selling mine, which is why I am forever grateful to SWMBO for not doubting my very shaky man maths when I bought the RS6

Have to look out for it up this way, do you know which part of Glasgow its coming to?

cheers

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 26th November 2016, 06:38 PM

Shame you've come to that decision as the D2's are just going to appreciate and appreciate, but then again, so do houses and I can see where your focus lies - the sense of loss will pass, nothing lasts forever, not even cars.

Somewhere down the line you will fall in love with another toy, it happens.

Thanks for helping me on my journey into S8 ownership as well, you were the conduit to my purchase, appreciate it
Old 26th November 2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Glad to hear it's gone to a good home at least Adrian, must have indeed been a sad day for you......can't imagine ever selling mine, which is why I am forever grateful to SWMBO for not doubting my very shaky man maths when I bought the RS6
I think she's about 17 favours in credit Brian, or is that just my man maths ...

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 26th November 2016, 07:03 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Glasgow? Is that where D2s go to retire so that they can receive all the gearbox care they need in their old age?

I know how you must feel Adrian, I'd find it extremely difficult to part with my S8.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 26th November 2016, 07:11 PM

Sorry you felt you had to sell Adrian. Its something many of have to face as we transition from one life phase to another. (apart from BrianG... )
Many thanks for your contributions etc on the forum.
Old 26th November 2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
do you know which part of Glasgow its coming to?
Hiya

Googling the postcode suggests out to the East side of Glasgow.

Thanks all for the comments - the 2nd bottle of wine still isn't helping

When I bought the S8 I intended to keep it 2 years, and it's been way longer than that because they're just so special. It's the car I've owned the longest, I think

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 26th November 2016, 08:15 PM

Adrian,
Whatever else you do, for the sake of God and the rest of us mere mortals, please, pretty please, stay in touch. We will need your expertise for a long time into the future.
If you vanish you will find out that ve hav ze vays to trace you!!!!

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)