A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 1st February 2017, 07:54 AM

Default MoT Time again

Another year gone by and its time again. Just taken the '8 down to the garage to get the brakes power bled after refitting the refurbished front calipers/new discs and pads followed by the MoT. Fingers crossed
Old 1st February 2017, 08:02 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Fingers crossed
That makes typing really difficult so I'll cross my toes for you instead.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre dιcor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 1st February 2017, 12:30 PM

Bugger.
Failed on handbrake efficiency and, most importantly on catalytic convertors/exhaust gas out-of spec. There was a small welding fracture in a joint on the after-market sports cats fitted in 2010 which are supposed to be under "lifetime" warranty. Just contacted the people who fitted them and there might be a problem with the fact that they needed an annual inspection by the company to maintain the warranty.
Just getting the hand-brake adjusted now and thinking about the way ahead for the cats. Probabaly see if welding the crack solves the issues and, if it doesnt, going to see the cat installers.
Old 1st February 2017, 01:28 PM

ugh sorry to hear David

Mine is due on the D2 as well in the next couple of weeks and just having -
- Track Rod Ends replaced due to 1 perished rubber (but working fine)
- Brake Cable and Hose Line replaced to one front wheel (warning light for pads staying on due to cable break near wheel)
- Top Suspension arm rubber replaced (to get rid of an annoying knock)
- Washer Bottle Pump replaced (finally gave up squirting)
- Gear Lever Box needs attention due to bad earth sometimes leaving the inhibitor on and preventing the car starting (wtf? lol)

Apart from that it should fly straight through!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 1st February 2017, 01:50 PM

Thanks Neill, Waiting hear back on the welding right now. If this clears the emissions issues then it'll be all good....but i think its new cats

Good luck with yours - mine will be mostly new by the time Ive finished with it!
Old 1st February 2017, 02:35 PM

Hope it's sorted swiftly without hurting the wallet.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 1st February 2017, 03:08 PM

Well, the cats are too badly gone with multiple corrosion points to fix by welding which seems bad for stainless cats with a "lifetime warranty"- so its off to see the original fitters to see if they will honour their promise (subject to T&Cs etc etc...)

Old 8th February 2017, 12:44 PM

...and the answer is that they wont as the "warranty" is not transferable (previous owner was the Laird) and also they didnt give a lifetime warranty as the cats were made of Grade 409 (i.e. normal "muffler" grade) steel which fairs badly with salty roads - like in Scotland . So its a possible repair to get it through the MoT and no guarantees of life, or replacement which, if i choose the same establishment will be with Grade 409, non warranty material.

Time to look elsewhere! I hope to get this done before I have to pay another MoT fee. (10 working days from MoT failure).
Old 8th February 2017, 01:07 PM

Try these guys in Hillington. Not sure if they do cats but their stainless steel exhausts are amazing.

Ask for Cameron and tell him I gave you his number

EDIT... just had a look on their website and they do cats

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 8th February 2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47p2 View Post
Try these guys in Hillington. Not sure if they do cats but their stainless steel exhausts are amazing.

Ask for Cameron and tell him I gave you his number

EDIT... just had a look on their website and they do cats
Ahead of you there John !! Just booked in with them. They use 304/316 grade s/steel and give a warranty AND the cost is less than getting the original provider to replace (with Grade 409 steel) given that they (the original provider) cant do it until later next week and my MoT "gracetime" runs out leaving me with another £54 on top. I will certainly mention your name