A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Motormouth

Motormouth Everything, and anything else motoring related that just doesnt belong anywhere else

Old 5th June 2010, 07:44 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Default Motor Insurance Fronting

An interesting article on the BBC
Topical for me as a colleague at work has done this and the insurance company refused the majority of his claim when his son shunted a car in front.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 5th June 2010, 10:57 AM

its very common...didn't do it myself, i had no choice but to start with a 1litre, pay for it monthly and avoid hitting stuff but at least i got no claims built up.....just have to "take it" for the first year or 2. A few years back someone i worked with passed his test and was moaning that he'd had a huge insurance bill and how unfair it was and why should he be "assumed" to have a massive risk. I had to laugh when he preceded to have 3 (! :O ) accidents. The bills a biggy for a reason sometime!
Old 20th June 2010, 11:58 PM

I didn't do that either, although my dad was kind enough to have me as a named driver on his series 5 Rapier (with Holbay engine!), and for teaching me to drive in it.

I opted for a Rover 3.5 P5B Coupe as my 2nd car after my first car a Wolseley 6/110 became terminally ill. My mates all had their new 1.1 fiestas, base models with rubber mats & no carpetting - Yugh!

They reckoned that I was bonkers, but I pointed out that I had no HP on the car, could have TPF&T insurance and being 6ft 4, I could fit in it too, overall running costs (less depreciation) were not too dissimilar, though I did actually win out though..... and I had Wood,Connoly leather, Wilton..... oh and a V8 and moaning at petrol getting close to a pound a GALLON :-)

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!
Old 21st June 2010, 08:32 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
I didn't do that either, although my dad was kind enough to have me as a named driver on his series 5 Rapier (with Holbay engine!), and for teaching me to drive in it.

I opted for a Rover 3.5 P5B Coupe as my 2nd car after my first car a Wolseley 6/110 became terminally ill. My mates all had their new 1.1 fiestas, base models with rubber mats & no carpetting - Yugh!

They reckoned that I was bonkers, but I pointed out that I had no HP on the car, could have TPF&T insurance and being 6ft 4, I could fit in it too, overall running costs (less depreciation) were not too dissimilar, though I did actually win out though..... and I had Wood,Connoly leather, Wilton..... oh and a V8 and moaning at petrol getting close to a pound a GALLON :-)
Excellent dit. Those Sumbeam Rapiers were lovely cars. I picked one up cheap and fitted the engine and box to my Humber Scepter. Twin 40s, higher compresion. O those halcyon days. You must come to the A8oc meet Night Train and we can talk bollox about real classic cars!

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.

Last edited by Conan_the_Librarian; 21st June 2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 21st June 2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
You must come to the A8oc meet Night Train and we can talk bollox about real classic cars!
We'll probably talk bollox whether he comes or not but additional bollox would always be welcome!!!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:02 AM

Hmm. What is the collective noun for a gathering of bollox.
And here's one ide like to share.
The collective noun for a gathering of bankers is a, Wunch.

It appears I can even talk bollox about bollox. Sorry
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:56 AM

Oh yes, those were the days...... skinny 5.90 x 13 crossplys as standard, that Rapier used to break traction at the rear wonderfully if you wnted to 'lay rubber' from 1st to 3rd gear with overdrive flicked in (gear 3 & 4)

I learnt the art of double declutching, heeling & toeing, as well as opposite lock with my dad in the passenger seat... (pre test)
that car would go anywhere on ice or snow..... one of the few advantages of skinny crossplies. Only the flash b*ggers had their 175 13's!

First thing I did with the Rover was fit ER70 VR15 Jag tyres,as they were a nice fit on the Rover chrome Magnum wheels (not rostyles as most call them in error) and koni coil overs, which really helped the stability in corners and throttle steering...

I also had a Sunbeam Talbot 90, an Austin Healey 3000, Humber desert hawk, Jensen Interceptor (when they couldn't give them away), a brief flirtation with an Aston V8, and a Lagonda....

It would be utterley marvellous to talk absolute total & complete bollox at a meet.... I'm going to try to make it to the proposed SW meet, though I can't guarantee it..

Aaah, I'll always remember, on my motorcycle test, I made a small error and used the Bollox word at the top of my voice, the examiner being a vicar...
He pulled me on that, and informed me that the word allegedly referred to a group of de-frocked priests...... and then passed me.

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!