A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 21st May 2019, 09:24 AM

Default Coolant, what coolant.

I don't think I've ever checked this , so got a bit of a shock yesterday on picking Herman up from his biennial gearbox service at Mackies last night to see a Big Red Warning Light in the display.

Popped the bonnet (or rather John @ Mackies did...) to find the coolant level was way below minimum. Very weird - no issues on the last two long distance drives (back from MJs and then up here to Mackies), so I read this thread with interest and will be keeping an eye on it on the drive south later this morning...

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 21st May 2019, 11:03 AM

Hmm that's a tad worrying
Old 21st May 2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Hmm that's a tad worrying
A bit less now, maybe - back home after another 200 mile drive, with zero loss of coolant. So less worrying, just a bit strange, really

(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 21st May 2019, 05:33 PM

Its not uncommon for the V8s to 'burp' themselves after having the coolant filled, and I had just refilled it before you picked him up. It may well be that it was just that and it only showed the light after a couple of journeys.

Keep an eye on it I guess and keep me posted
Old 23rd May 2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
The warning reappeared this morning, though I haven't checked in ages so don't know whether it's been slowly dropping or only when driven.
I've been away and the S8 has been just sitting there for the last 2 weeks, but checked this morning it's dropped a few mm below minimum!
Could that just be temperatures/expansion stabilising? No signs of any drips on the ground below.

Edit: I was going to go for a short drive and see what that did, but the battery just didn't have quite enough "oomph" to start it.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 23rd May 2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 23rd May 2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Its not uncommon for the V8s to 'burp' themselves after having the coolant filled, and I had just refilled it before you picked him up. It may well be that it was just that and it only showed the light after a couple of journeys.

Keep an eye on it I guess and keep me posted
That was my thought too - and I vaguely remember the same thing happening post-service a few years back. Still full and stable, but I'll keep an eye on it - well, more than before, at least!

Old 3rd June 2019, 03:15 PM

All very strange, I've recharged the battery and done a couple of short journeys since the last post and it had dropped noticeably when checked at the weekend. No signs anywhere of any leaks or drips.

So I topped it up and went to buy some petrol today pre-meet, then did a precautionary country drive of about 40 miles or so, most at 60-70mph or so.
Temperature gauge was locked on 90 throughout, and on checking back home the level seems unchanged.

I'll have a big container of water with me and when we arrive at MJs on Thursday afternoon for "Triage" it will be the first thing I'll ask her to look at.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 3rd June 2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I'll have a big container of water with me and when we arrive at MJs on Thursday afternoon for "Triage" it will be the first thing I'll ask her to look at.
I can show you the lumbar support shenanigans too I shredded a seat the other day while Bert was here since he has the same issue.
Old 3rd June 2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I can show you the lumbar support shenanigans too I shredded a seat the other day while Bert was here since he has the same issue.
Ah good, if I remember I'll bring the spare motor/pump unit I bought from the USA. If nothing else, to just check it looks right.

Last edited by HPsauce; 3rd June 2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12th June 2019, 10:55 AM

Well MJ found the evidence (and showed it to me) of a definite coolant leak from the dreaded plastic oil cooler pipe.

Funny thing is, after getting home from the meet the level doesn't seem to have dropped. On the other hand what with driving sedately in Cornish convoys and terrible weather on the longer journeys there have been very few "overtaking opportunities".
So the revs have been consistently low. Indeed my gearbox had drifted off into "Cornwall mode" and was selecting top gear at anything over 30mph!

As for the valve unit I have for the seat (the pump motor is in fact separate) I now know where it goes and it may be inaccessible to a "mere mortal".
The one I have seems to be a different design, but has the same electrical and air connections so I'll see if I can at least get at those and try it - nothing to lose.

Last edited by HPsauce; 12th June 2019 at 10:59 AM.