A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 19th August 2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Cruise control has two fundamentally different versions, which depends on the age of your car. As I think is flagged prominently on the forum, it helps if you supply more details of your car as answers do depend on precise vintage, trims, etc.
Ah ok makes sense:
W reg (2000) 2.8 FWD. Not a sport although has 18" sport wheels
Old 19th August 2019, 09:32 PM

2000 should be the "drive by wire" throttle where cruise control is just a bit of software in the ECU. Earlier versions actually had a separate box in the engine bay ECU box and that really could go wrong.

As such, with DBW, the switches on the stalk talk directly to the engine ECU and are pretty simple.
They often get gunged up, spraying with contact cleaner and energetically exercising them can often bring them back to life.
Unless of course they really are broken, but all that VCDS (or any other diagnostic) can tell you is whether it sees the switches operate, not that they are "broken" so this is always worth a try.

Do any of the cruise control functions work ever? Mine didn't when I got the car and it was the end button that wouldn't "set" a speed, so it never worked until I cleaned and "exercised" it.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 19th August 2019, 10:47 PM

That's interesting, I'll have a play with the set button. Thank you!!
The previous owner mentioned that the 'set' button worked, but you could increase the speed. None of the cruise control has worked since I've owned it, which is since May only. Best car I've ever had for motorway duties.
Old 19th August 2019, 10:52 PM

Mine's still not great on increasing speed (or resuming), sometimes it just disengages.
So I'm more in the habit of increasing with my right foot (which is actually easier than that horrid little slider anyway) and pressing set again.

I think my slider switch is the least reliable bit so I just leave it permanently in the "on" position. Beating the hell out of the end button got mine working reasonably reliably in the end and you can live without the rest.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 20th August 2019, 12:48 PM

The garage have stated that the faults are from the throttle body, so a new one is being fitted. £350 for a new genuine Bosch item. The main dealer wanted 900 quid!!!
Old 20th August 2019, 01:59 PM

I don't know if a logged throttle body fault would inhibit cruise control, it just might, so try it again after the repair.
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:05 AM

TB replaced, seems to drive well and idle better with a/c on; but that might be placebo.

I'll have a go with the cruise control later.

One other thing: with regards to the plastic box that sits in the bulkhead on the passenger side, it cotains the abs and tc ecus, os it possible to purchase a new seal to prevent water ingress? Or should i just silicone seal it?
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:54 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I had a lot of similar trouble some years ago. The TB was replaced and all seemed well - until it rained heavily again (I was in Scotland at the time, so didn’t have to wait long! ) and the strange symptoms restarted. In the end, the garage took that plastic box apart and discovered signs of serious water ingress. IIRC, the seal was available as a new part, but it may have come complete with the lid.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Doody View Post
One other thing: with regards to the plastic box that sits in the bulkhead on the passenger side, it cotains the abs and tc ecus, os it possible to purchase a new seal to prevent water ingress? Or should i just silicone seal it?
Unfortunately you can't buy the seal by itself, as it comes as part of the cover. The part number for the cover is 4D2937128F and cost around £50... if you can find one in the UK. Failing that, you can still get them online from either of these two sites:

E-ACCA.COM @ 44.99 Euro

carparts-pros @ 53.30 Euro

And if you don't want to go down that route, there are a few secondhand on eBay around the £20 mark, although you'll have no idea about the state of the seal.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:44 PM

Hopefully it's not unlike the seal around the air intake and that you can easily buy a roll of suitable adhesive foam strip.