A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 22nd December 2016, 10:00 PM

Default I-pod holder ?

I tend to listen to my old I-pod a lot , I use a belkin transmitter , had it for years ,always found a handy place for it , but in the 8 it lives in the central cup holder , not ideal , so does anyone have a better site for it , or a holder that makes it easier to use ?
D3 3.0 tdi btw
I realise that a plug in HD will be the answer , one that can be accessed by the MMI , but I'm not that tech savvy
However i can CNC you just about anything and weld it to somthing else , so there's hope

Mike
Old 23rd December 2016, 04:46 AM

Do you have AMI? if so a 128GB USB 3.0 thumb drive does the job well and holds all the MP3's you could ever need
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:03 AM

AMI ? Guessing audio media interface or somesuch ?
I'll have a look in the manual ,and do a search on here
My local halfrauds had some phone holders and charging sockets on special today , so bought some , I'll see what I can lash up over the holidays
Mike
Old 23rd December 2016, 04:24 PM

AMI is the unit that sits in one of the slots in the top of your glovebox. It's usually next to your CD changer.

It looks like a blank, black stereo with half the face taken up by a removable tray. The idea is that you purchase (at extortionate rates from Audi) a cable to connect your device of choice to the unit and then put your device in the removable tray. It's perfectly sized for an iPod.

If you don't have one, they're usually available on eBay.

2008 Audi S8
Old 23rd December 2016, 05:09 PM

Nope , just a big space where it should be , so what's my other options , is there a simple aux socket than can be added ?
Or is it gateway or similar install ?

Mike
Old 23rd December 2016, 07:47 PM

I can't comment on how to connect it, but as far as holders go, Brodit come highly recommended

http://www.brodit.com/productList.ht...r=2004&pn=prod

Their system comprises two parts - a clip to fit the car, and a holder to fit the device. Match the two together and you have a perfect mounting system
Old 23rd December 2016, 07:56 PM

For connection options, you have the Audi original AMI option, or you can get a third party gateway. The third-party versions have the advantage of giving you bluetooth streaming as well as plug-in capability. Dension make a gateway that is pretty well-regarded. Here's a video of it being installed:

https://youtu.be/MglxuEXOxkI

2008 Audi S8
Old 24th December 2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I can't comment on how to connect it, but as far as holders go, Brodit come highly recommended

http://www.brodit.com/productList.ht...r=2004&pn=prod

Their system comprises two parts - a clip to fit the car, and a holder to fit the device. Match the two together and you have a perfect mounting system
I use Brodit holders in both the D2 and in the D3's and they are really well made and you can change one part when you change phones rather than the whole thing. The inside is also felt lined to protect the faces of the phone

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 26th December 2016, 05:52 PM

Thanks for all your thoughts
One more question , where do you mount them , I kinda hate tacked on looking things
Old 26th December 2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikee View Post
Thanks for all your thoughts
One more question , where do you mount them , I kinda hate tacked on looking things
In the D3 it's to the centre vents using a special fitting, I hate doing anything that permanently damages any trim etc so try to use fitments that position the holder in a good place but also lets you take it all off later without causing any issues
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	15318  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs