A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 25th February 2017, 06:43 PM

Default EPB release

Is there a way to release the ebp manually , storm Doris flooded my car water in the center console ebp locked on , seen the vid about removing the motors and winding them back , but it's on a hill so a bit of research first
Thanks in advance

Mike

Last edited by Mikee; 7th March 2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 25th February 2017, 06:50 PM

Have you got a VCDS ??
Where are you based ? There could be someone near you with a VCDS if you haven't got one.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 25th February 2017, 08:03 PM

If your A8 is a D3 model, there should be a hex headed tool in the toolkit on the bootlid. This will enable you to manually release the rear calipers on each side. Its quite fiddly and easier done with a rear wheel removed first to help with access. The Hill shouldn't be an issue with the transmission in P.
If the tool is missing, a set of standard hex type bits that come with battery drills etc. will work instead.
I had to do it one morning when my left epb motor failed in the "on" position.
Got me mobile until I could get it booked in for replacement.
Old 26th February 2017, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the replies
I thought there was a way to de- activate the calipers , that's what I was looking for
Anyway I've got it released by other means , I removed the center console and dried it out , got some 3 mm air pipe and cleared the sunroof drains , poked it down the hole then blew down it a few times , seemed to do the trick
Re-assembled the console , reconnected the battery and fired it up , the switch wouldn't switch the ebp off though , but selecting gear and driving off gently did the trick , so it's now drivable , can't switch the brake on and there's the warning symbol lit , but it's progress

Don't know anyone local with vcds so I'll try star performance down the road this week , he comes highly recomended , I need the suspension looked at as well , but a mate offered me the use of an athos console , so I might see what that's about , I need to start learning if I'm going to keep this thing

Mike
Old 26th February 2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikee View Post
Thanks for the replies
I thought there was a way to de- activate the calipers , that's what I was looking for
Anyway I've got it released by other means , I removed the center console and dried it out , got some 3 mm air pipe and cleared the sunroof drains , poked it down the hole then blew down it a few times , seemed to do the trick
Re-assembled the console , reconnected the battery and fired it up , the switch wouldn't switch the ebp off though , but selecting gear and driving off gently did the trick , so it's now drivable , can't switch the brake on and there's the warning symbol lit , but it's progress

Don't know anyone local with vcds so I'll try star performance down the road this week , he comes highly recomended , I need the suspension looked at as well , but a mate offered me the use of an athos console , so I might see what that's about , I need to start learning if I'm going to keep this thing

Mike
Good to hear you got going again, but on the electronics you removed did you strip it down and clean it out then dry it?

I had same problem and when i pulled the unit apart there was all sorts of nasty electrolysis between the connector pins on the pcb, i have a feeling if left it wouldn't be long before the board would fail.

Old 26th February 2017, 03:23 PM

Yup it all looked clean , there was signs of corrosion on the alloy chassis that carries all the MMI switches , so seems not the first time this has been wet
Mike
Old 26th February 2017, 03:54 PM

Mine looked ok until i removed the pcb from the housing, then it had black goo around the pcb at the power connections, scrubbed it with soap and water with a tooth brush then dried over night and all was good again.

Old 3rd March 2017, 06:45 PM

Okay so the MMI for the air suspension settings stopped functioning
So I reasoned I'd take the center console to bits again , stripped it and cleaned it again and re assembled it , no change , but the multi pin connectors seemed a bit rubbish , not positive enough , so a bit of wiggling and bingo , fortified by this I tried the parking brake switch ,so now it will switch off , and on , then the warning lights dissapeared , happy daze

On the back of this the suspension has sorted it's self out , I realise I haven't fixed it , but it all works properly now

So off to star performance in the morning , not sure what in going to get them to do , vagcom fault read for starters I guess

Mike