A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 12th November 2020, 04:07 PM

David, see if you can identify where phone lines run, do any neighbours have any existing or defunct lines?

They may run overhead on poles but equally underground and there will be "manhole" covers over access points and junction boxes, typically with a BT or even GPO logo on them. Usually manholes are rectangular and big enough to get into and cables typically follow roads to avoid wayleave and access issues.
It's quite common to have a mixture with bulk underground cable feeding to the base of a pole which then has overhead wires fanning out to nearby properties.
And roadside cabinets can be quite misleading, often some distance away.

Probably the only way to be sure is to order a line and fibre broadband from BT and see what the response is. Though I think you said it's only normal "ADSL" that's available.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 12th November 2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12th November 2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
2 miles of copper, straight in to the exchange, and more for people further down the same cable run. The most I ever saw on it was 6Mb/s hence the switch to 4G a few years ago. I work from home on Teams, stream TV and music, etc no problem at all.

BT / Openreach / Virgin / etc have no interest in trying to run a fibre along 2 miles of poles along a single track road on top of a windy hill, and they're not allowed to dig up the road to run ducting so we'll never see high speed from ground-based providers here. The same applies to most rural locations in Devon and Cornwall so our only options are wireless services of one sort or another.

For context, it's taken Elon Musk and SpaceX less time to develop a reusable rocket system from scratch and then design and deploy a network of high speed internet satellites than it has for Openreach to give a damn about the rural South West
I get all that

But I'll wager your copper connection still goes via a cabinet to your home, Openreach are not in the habit of direct cabling everyone to the exchange.

I also work from home and found the 5G GigaCube as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

I've just been through this whole process, within the last few days and weeks, I'm giving an up to date view of what I found.

As for the neighbour, Netflix in HD will run on pretty much anything, Netflix are very clever with their caching and buffering, I found the exact same thing.

I think mobile broadband is the future, but it ain't there yet
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 12th November 2020, 10:23 PM

What I meant was it's just copper cable for ADSL, no fibre to the cabinet just copper going to the cabinet. It was not meant literally single cable from the exchange straight to the house.

As for 3/4/5G I guess there will be a big difference between just the modem with internal antenna sitting in the house and the one with external antenna on the roof or on external wall.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 13th November 2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
I get all that

But I'll wager your copper connection still goes via a cabinet to your home, Openreach are not in the habit of direct cabling everyone to the exchange.

I also work from home and found the 5G GigaCube as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

I've just been through this whole process, within the last few days and weeks, I'm giving an up to date view of what I found.

As for the neighbour, Netflix in HD will run on pretty much anything, Netflix are very clever with their caching and buffering, I found the exact same thing.

I think mobile broadband is the future, but it ain't there yet
Thanks for your input/warnings sarg. Its good to hear the other side to the coin
My present house has direct copper to exchange as we are so close (<200M) and so we were initially by passed by the new cabinets. We were limited to standard broadband until this September when we got fast BB (60Mb).
The new house has overhead lines going up the lane from a point where it emerges from the ground so its hard to know which cabinet is feeding it. There's potentially 7 properties being fed by the copper line but its hard to tell as it goes underground at the last pole and then emerges at the side of my house. I think you are right in saying go for a line and try that first. At least I know the pros and cons now whereas before i was in the dark.
Old 13th November 2020, 08:17 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

I, as MJ has said, also use a 4G modem and an external aeriel on a mast attached to my bungalow's chimney. I use to get 6Mb over my phone line, I now average in the high 30s up, high teens down and mid 30s for latency.
Using a mixture of WiFi (4 APs, 2 in the house, one in workshop/garage and one further up the property), ethernet over power (to link the external WiFi APs to the house) and ethernet within the house to link the WiFi APs and high bandwidth users like the NAS, AV and other, non WiFi, stuff.
Because I live in a valley climbing up to the moors I only have line of sight with one tower. If I walk up the valley until I am above the height of my aeriel I have recorded speeds of 70Mb! However, as the geeks will know, the higher my aeriel, the longer the wire and the greater the loss over that length of wire and the greater the costs to overcome that loss with high gain aeriels and low loss cable. 30Mb is fine for streaming HD. We have an unlimited tarrif with 3 at £18 a month and have not watched any terrestrial/satellite TV since we started the tarrif, we stream everything now.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 13th November 2020, 08:33 AM

Let me know if you go with EE I can to get you a 30% discount on a SIM only (20% off pay monthly handset) if you buy through EE website.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 13th November 2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
Openreach are not in the habit of direct cabling everyone to the exchange.
It's digressing somewhat but there are indeed properties like that and they're a real problem for FTTC implementation.
In general they are close to the exchange, and I do actually know someone like that who can't get fibre as a result.
However most cable runs, including mine as noted above, will have at least one cabinet along the route. Openreach then usually build a powered fibre cabinet nearby and "loop in" to enable FTTC on individual lines as they are ordered.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 13th November 2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
It's digressing somewhat but there are indeed properties like that and they're a real problem for FTTC implementation.
In general they are close to the exchange, and I do actually know someone like that who can't get fibre as a result.
However most cable runs, including mine as noted above, will have at least one cabinet along the route. Openreach then usually build a powered fibre cabinet nearby and "loop in" to enable FTTC on individual lines as they are ordered.
I have a line like this in one of our offices, I get 18mbs down and 2.5mbs up on Annex-M on a direct exchange line that is <150m, but no chance of FTTC as there is no cab. Also no FTTP yet, so I am now having to go to Virgin Media Business to get a speed hike, which is not really this biggest issue but not ideal either!
Old 14th November 2020, 07:00 PM

Virgin Media's cable broadband is fabulous, if you can get it.

Losing that is pretty much the only thing I miss about our old house
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 14th November 2020, 10:31 PM

I've been on Virgin Media for a long time and currently normally at 320Mb.

The problem with Corona is everybody and their dog is downloading multi mode games and movies, some even working, that slows everything down.
Some evenings I'm getting my normal 36 Mb upload but download can be as slow as 11Mb.
Complain to Virgin and they say no fault and magically I go up to my normal numbers. Then within days I seem to be throttled again. I think if you complain you are prioritised then when somebody else complains you are pushed down the line again.
Current excuse is that they are busy upgrading the system and to expect breaks in system for a few weeks.
I was promised a refund but am still waiting for that.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)