A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 19th March 2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I tried the VIN function using the VIN from the S8 I had and it shows it as a 3.0 tdi. Never checked to see what other functionality the VIN lookup offers though. Have it running on both Windows 10 Home and Windows 7 Pro.
If I type my VIN in, it also shows as a 3.0 tdi. However, there is a 'VIN Creator' with this version (3rd party) in which you enter the PR codes from the sticker and it creates a txt file in the correct folder. ETKA then greys out the irrelevant data. PM me if you want to have a go

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	578
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	25842   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	546
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	25843  
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 20th March 2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
If I type my VIN in, it also shows as a 3.0 tdi. However, there is a 'VIN Creator' with this version (3rd party) in which you enter the PR codes from the sticker and it creates a txt file in the correct folder. ETKA then greys out the irrelevant data. PM me if you want to have a go
I saw the 'VIN Creator' option but didn't check it out, as it didn't seem to make sense i.e. why create a VIN for a car? Now that you explained it, I might do it for my D2 to at least reduce the options.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 20th March 2021, 10:33 AM

Well, this has all gone way off topic.

So, back to that, my point about wanting a return of investment has been misinterpreted.

What I meant was that if I paid, say, £10k for a car, that when I come to sell it, it should return at least £10k.

The running and maintenance costs in between are the cost of the hobby, I do not expect to get any or much of that back.

And this is why, for me, lower miles is important. Maybe not the be all and end all, but an important consideration, and partly why I've ignored most of the cars that have come up for sale.

A higher miler that had been through a part rebuild, such as one that had passed through the D2 Doctor workshop, might be considered mind you.
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 20th March 2021, 10:57 AM

Sorry Sarg, i did drag it off topic, apologies

As for the investment, it does seem that a good D2 or one that has been recommissioned by the Doc will still hold it's value, especially if sold on here to someone who knows it's worth.

I would also say a decent D3 also is holding it's value. The facelifts seem to be better at this as they are a bit more desirable. Anything near the 100k mark is decent I think
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 20th March 2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
Well, this has all gone way off topic.

So, back to that, my point about wanting a return of investment has been misinterpreted.

What I meant was that if I paid, say, £10k for a car, that when I come to sell it, it should return at least £10k.

The running and maintenance costs in between are the cost of the hobby, I do not expect to get any or much of that back.

And this is why, for me, lower miles is important. Maybe not the be all and end all, but an important consideration, and partly why I've ignored most of the cars that have come up for sale.

A higher miler that had been through a part rebuild, such as one that had passed through the D2 Doctor workshop, might be considered mind you.
Well, I paid £18k for mine 12 years ago, have spent about £7k in "capital maintenance" (basically Mackies + MJ) and have been offered £10k for it a couple of times (speculatively, admittedly - I wouldn't expect to get quite that for it...).

So that works out at deprecation of ~ £1.5k per annum. which I don't think is much really, compared to what that would be for most comparable performance cars.

For me, lower miles would matter if I was going to do a lot of miles, but not if I wasn't - Herman had ~23k when I bought him, and I then did about 30k a year for each of the following 3 years (work car...), but then it dropped off, so now it's becoming "low mileage" according to some adverts anyway

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 20th March 2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Well, I paid £18k for mine 12 years ago, have spent about £7k in "capital maintenance" (basically Mackies + MJ) and have been offered £10k for it a couple of times (speculatively, admittedly - I wouldn't expect to get quite that for it...).

So that works out at deprecation of ~ £1.5k per annum. which I don't think is much really, compared to what that would be for most comparable performance cars.

For me, lower miles would matter if I was going to do a lot of miles, but not if I wasn't - Herman had ~23k when I bought him, and I then did about 30k a year for each of the following 3 years (work car...), but then it dropped off, so now it's becoming "low mileage" according to some adverts anyway
I would say that’s very reasonable depreciation based on those figures. Far less than anything newer anyway.

Mileage is such a sticking point for used cars and I really do think it’s more of a British thing sometimes. The yanks and the continental Europeans in my experience do not seem to have the same reservations as us Brits...admittedly a bit of a broad brush statement but a a lot of my friends have similar views. For me a D2 with ~150k is ok. Less than 100k now is getting very hard to find.

The youngest D2 is nearly 20 years old now and if I was in the market for one (again) anything from 130k to 170k, or even more would be considered if the car was well taken care of. I’ve experienced cars with starship mileage that drive better than lower mileage cars and I’m sure others on here have had similar experiences.

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 20th March 2021, 11:34 PM

My D3 S8 dropped by £18k in the 10 years between me buying and selling it. So only about £1.8k depreciation PA.

The thing with these cars is that, assuming they are maintained, depreciation is going to taper off once you've had them for a few years, and likely start rising.

I'd say to get one that has a good history, fewer owners the better. And unless you are going to be using it a lot, the miles are less important than a car your going to be happy owning for many years to come. So be picky about getting the spec/colour you desire.
A car can tickle you in different ways on different days. It might be the raw power today and then breezing along listening to music tomorrow or just being a great pace to be.

The car you want is the one that you'll look forward to getting into, and back at as you leave it.
Old 20th March 2021, 11:50 PM

Happy for you all to have your own viewpoints, but it's my money, I've a very healthy budget, and lots of time to wait for the right car, not least because we are still in lockdown.

But as mentioned a day or so back, I'm pretty much moving away from a D2 for reasons already stated. 911s and Astons have been on my web browser today, but probably need to replace the family car first, and despite my persuasions otherwise, SWMBO want a Merc EQC
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 21st March 2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
and despite my persuasions otherwise, SWMBO want a Merc EQC
Regarding the EQC, I am also frequent on a Mercedes Forum and there was a recent thread on an owner who was very unhappy with his new EQC. It gained a few faults and the UK network cannot fix it (yet). They await diagnosis from Germany and he was without a car for bout a week (poor dealership). It's now the first problem I've seen with these and being a completely new drivetrain, it may be a while until things can get fixed in a timely fashion.

I know any new car can have issues, but if they can't be fixed because the dealer network frankly doesn't know what to do then it may be a concern.
Old 21st March 2021, 04:20 PM

Yeah, might want to wait a bit for one of these...

Started smoking while charging so the fire brigade pushed it in to a skip and drowned it

https://www.new-facts.eu/oberessendo...en-424264.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	161989601_2624420977813214_7128010233214986599_o.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	25854