A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 3rd November 2017, 11:13 PM

Mark are you renting out your S9 on miningrigrentals as well or just L3+?

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 4th November 2017, 10:05 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Mark are you renting out your S9 on miningrigrentals as well or just L3+?
I added it to miningrigrentals a few days ago but it hasn't been rented yet. The L3+ I have on there hasn't been rented for a day or two either though. I probably need to adjust my rental prices to allow for the BTC price increase. I'm not too concerned if they don't get rented though .... they're earning ok with NiceHash. I'm really just playing with rental as an alternative and a curiosity to see if I can increase the earnings slightly. I'd rather they only get rented once a week at a higher price than get rented frequently at a loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
You might want to consider putting it in cooler box as silencer with some vent ducting. I am considering it but it's not too much of the problem for me at the moment as one is on the loft and the other one in garage with just the GPU rigs heating the house. Something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfxVGqJamwM
Interesting container idea. I've been looking to do something similar with the ducting but would prefer to enclose them in something a little more flame retardant, just in case. My house has a cellar, so I'm considering putting a few Antminers down there (in some sort of enclosure), using ducting to channel the heat up into the house. One way that I thought of, since the cellar is partly under the main staircase, is to modify a staircase riser to put some grilles in it. If I use one of the lower risers, it should provide a little additional heating to both upstairs and downstairs.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 4th November 2017, 12:09 PM

At the moment there are a lot of cheap rentals available on miningrigrentals so mine does not get rented as well but they did really well at the start of week and BTC prise rise made it even better.

8 history:
Old 7th November 2017, 03:39 PM

Hi There,

Must admit my S7 has been pretty easy to deal with. It can only really do one thing and that's mine BTC. Who for is the biggest thing and dealing with the noise/heat I guess.
All in I'm pretty happy with that one. I'm slowly building up to my first *ACTUAL* return in BTC paid out. Slushpool has a bit more of a random gamble in it, but it's also more interesting. Being online with a good hashrate when a coin drops is nice,A coin taking unreasonably long is irksome and being offline when a couple drop almost makes you cry. It's fun to monitor though and they have a nice android app for it!
They do ZEC too, which I may have a go with the GPU rig....

With the GPU rig i've had a play with lots of miners, pools and sites. Some good, some less so. Not sure about the minergate reviews for example, but the software is fun. Nicehash i'm still not convinced with either. Though getting pools set up takes some effort and which miner with what coin is a HUGE area of info.

Interestingly my first play was XMG (almost worthless CPU miner) as it was what would run on my laptop. I'm almost up to a coin, but how quite i get my payout address to work i've no idea as i set-up a wallet (took ages syncing) but no matter what address i try it doesn't seem to like it. Tried on https://www.suprnova.cc/ too as I'd set up there to try ETC/DCR dual (claymore) and it doesn't work there, though my Ether wallet does, so I'm guessing that's genuine....

I've yet to find a coin with much return though, they all seem to take an age to get anywhere mining and whilst i'd like a portfolio of coins i'm wondering in buying them isn't the better route, even if that's with BTC as it seems the ubiquotious coin EVERYWHERE for transfer etc

It's a definate journy. Also to note that whilst i was going to put the GPU rig in my server room at home, it's quite nice with this cold spell in my living room and with the TV on you can't hear it

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 7th November 2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
i'm wondering in buying them isn't the better route, even if that's with BTC as it seems the ubiquotious coin EVERYWHERE for transfer etc

It's a definate journy. Also to note that whilst i was going to put the GPU rig in my server room at home, it's quite nice with this cold spell in my living room and with the TV on you can't hear it
It is pretty neat to think you're earning while heating the house. At worst you'll cover the electricity costs, effectively paying nothing for your heating; at best you'll make a good profit, paid in cryptocurrencies that may appreciate further in value. I've almost got enough miners running to keep the entire house fairly warm right now, but I think I'll need a few more for the colder months.

You're right though about simply investing in cryptocurrencies. It can certainly be the simpler route. Personally I do both and I re-invest (or 'hold') anything I earn from mining.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 9th November 2017, 12:25 PM

Hi There,

An interesting evening playing with the GPU rig. It was pushing out ~37Mhs on Ether using ethermine.org which i felt was a bit poor for 4x GTX970 Doing some reading people were getting 18-22 per card though that's about 5 months ago and I gather due to DAG? it's dropping anyway.
However one of the options for the card "Optimise for compute" seemed to be missing from the driver in Win 8.1 and the OS seems like a bit of a dog anyway, with a kind of tablet display, so I upgraded (officially) to Windows 10. Seemed a good long term move anyway and you can still upgrade for free until the end of the year, so why not!
I've now added the option and ticked it, along with a couple of other bits and i'm getting ~50Mhs which is far more respectable. This is without fiddling with bios's or overclocking and the cards are running about the same temp and fan speeds!

I still think there is potentially more MHs to grab as i've yet to play with a couple of the other miners and i've heard that some versions of the drivers can do better. I also wonder if a couple of the older versions of the miners may work better as the latest ones seem to be 10 series optimised. However a 13Mhs increase for very little is certainly a WIN in my books.

Looking at currencies ( https://coinranking.com/ ) i'm guessing that only the top few high value ones are worth mining these days, unless the difficulty levels are low that you get a lot of drops to compensate for the low value.

The lower value ones look better to buy as small amounts of cash will buy a reasonable number and given the amount of cash invested, I think most of that list will probably grow and if we're talking beer to night out money it's not a lot of cash for some interesting potential.

Also starting to wonder if a hardware wallet is going to be a smart move as *SO* many software wallets. Thinking https://www.ledgerwallet.com/products/ledger-nano-s ???

Lee

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 9th November 2017, 02:30 PM

You could also look at the Trezor hardware wallet. I haven't got one yet (it's on my 'to do' list though) but I know a few people who use them.

Hash-rate is a measure of performance of the hardware so it shouldn't change with difficulty. I'm not familiar with ethermine.org though. It's possible they calculate a relative/effective hash-rate.

The best coins to mine aren't necessarily the higher value coins or the ones with the greater market cap (I tend to use this site for comparison: https://coinmarketcap.com ). In fact, often a newer coin can be more profitable, if the price is high relative to mining difficulty. This site is good for comparing mining profitability: https://whattomine.com

I went down that mining route a little myself initially then I got lazy and just started using NiceHash instead. The problem with mining individual coins is that you need to spend a lot of time monitoring profitability and switching between different coins. If you're prepared to do that you can probably make a little more profit than you can by using NiceHash, but you'll have earned it. Having said that, it can be fun mining different coins and pools, and it could prove profitable if you pick a promising new coin.

You could also consider 'staking'. Some coins are generated by Proof of Stake (PoS) rather than Proof of Work (PoW, aka mining), and some use a combination of both PoS and PoW. With PoS you earn new coins just by holding (and sometimes 'locking') coins in a wallet.

Cars Owned:

Old 10th November 2017, 07:13 PM

This week has not been as profitable as last but still OK. Antminer L3+ and S9 had 2 batches each in stock from Bitmain this week, I secured another L3+ from the first batch but missed out on S9 first batch then got one on the next batch. They are both still available from the second batches: https://shop.bitmain.com/main.htm?lang=en Plenty to think about where and how I am going to locate and power them, some power and ethernet cabling to do, I have also asked Western Power Distribution to fit isolator switch and upgrade my supply from 60A to 100A.

After disappointment missing out on S9 from the 1st of this weeks batches I was looking at alternative ways to blow money and decided to go for RX Vega 56 video card to power from my Microserver as it did not handle 2x 1080Ti's well and I thought it's the PCI-e multipliers fault and that it should run 1 card OK. Unfortunately it does not even like running 1 card. Anyway I have received my Vega card, I went for the cheapest one I could find which is this one https://www.overclockers.co.uk/power...gx-18y-pc.html , currently at £430 but it was £390 when I bought it.

What made me consider it was this article http://www.gandalph3000.com/cast_xmr...onero-rx-vega/
It's supposed to do 1100H/s CryptoNight with stock driver and miner but mine was only doing 800-900 using NiceHash built in miner and stock driver. Changing to the XMR miner in the previously linked article made slight improvement but in combination with the linked blockchain driver it was 1500-1700, after some overclocking tweaking it is now running solid 2000H/s+ so more that 100% increase with 280W total power consumption for whole PC from the socket. I am still pointing it to the NiceHash pool for now, at the current rates it's earning about £130/month with about £18 month power costs after I recently switched to yet another electricity provider. Not bad at all for GPU, at the current rate it should pay back in less than 4 months, of course this can change and go down but the card should still hold resale value well, when I was looking on e-bay for one they were going £450 for second hand ones.
Looking at the miningrigrentals prices for Cryptonight they are some 50% higher than NiceHash so probably need to set up a rig there with a fallback to NiceHash when not rented out.

Also tried blockchain driver on my RX480/570/580 rig with the NiceHash miner but it did not make any difference, need to try out XMR miner, not sure how much but it should give some improvement for all RX cards with Vega definitely benefiting the most. Will see how it works out and then combine them all up as one rig on miningrigrentals. Another thing to mention is that for RX4**/5** cards CryptoNight has about 30-40% lower power consumption than Ether mining with the same settings.

Bitcoin Gold network will be publicly released Sunday morning, that should drive up demand for Equihash algorithm and hopefully raise the payout for it and and as more GPU's switch to Equihash there will be less mining power for others so other algorithm payout may increase as well.

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 10th November 2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10th November 2017, 09:17 PM

I might have to look at the RX Vega 56 cards myself. That's not bad performance for a relatively medium-priced card. I've got a new partially built rig that I need 4 cards for so I might consider those. What's the maximum power consumption of the card itself?

Cars Owned:

Old 10th November 2017, 09:26 PM

I think TDP is 250W

8 history: