A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Trims

D3 - Interior Trims Seats, dashboards, plastics, everything inside the cabin

Old 17th March 2014, 11:12 AM

Default Cup holder Lid and Phone holder

Noticed this morning when I having another look around and noticed the lid for the two cup holders near the arm rests does not open very wide.

It seems to open about 80% of fully. when trying to put something in there it wants to force the lid back more.
I've given it a gentle push and something is stopping it.
When removing the cup holders the lid gets in the way and makes it a bit of mission.

The Mrs also takes great pleasure is telling me that the wood in the centre a little shade different to the rest of the wood, I never really noticed this and put it down to the fact its at a different angle different light but she has a slight point.

When I was looking at the lid of the cup holders, I noticed the back of the console wood seems to lift up really easily. makes me think its been lifted up before.

How easy is it to remove the wood, that's if there is something wrong with the lid?

Under the armrests is what I think is the old phone prep. There's nothing there at the moment just some contacts and plastic clips.
the space looks wasted with that there, what's meant to go in there?
Is it possible or even worth putting it back as it should be or back to non phone prep version?

Cup Holder Lid:

Wood colour:
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.

Last edited by ScottD3; 17th March 2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:45 AM

Default Limited opening for central cubby

Hi,

I found a small coin had dropped down the gap at the back, limiting angle of opening. Still not got it out!

Richard
2006 Audi S8 V10 Now Sold. Akoya Silver with black/grey leather, standard 20" wheels, hybrid TV, Bang & Olufssen audio, Heated seats front and rear, Dension ipod integration, DAB radio, keyless entry, rear electric blind, bluetooth connection to Apple iphone6S. Started at 60,000 miles end April 12. Now 171,500 miles as at Oct 2017. Now sold to fellow forum member.
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:33 PM

It was a business card on mine!
Old 23rd March 2014, 05:23 PM

As boys said, it will be something really silly.
To take the centre console out you need to take the ash tray out, unscrew torx screw and just pull up the whole piece, as simple as that mate.

There where the contacts are you can just simply connect an iPhone adapter or something like that, or the original phone, whatever, if your bluetooth phone works then just don't touch it.

One thing, this contacts are 'live' as far as I remember and someone once put a bunch of keys there or something wet and it caused some electrical fault

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 23rd March 2014, 05:57 PM

I've already pulled out a business card and I think it is something like a coin down there I think.
I'll try and remove one evening and see what I can see.

I've got nothing under my arm rest, just the clips and contacts. I would like to put something there though.
The thought of exposed contact and something missing annoys me.
I've seen the phone on ebay for £50 but not the bit it clips into.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 24th March 2014, 09:10 PM

Thumbs up

Had the same issue with mine..

Spent 5 mins with the end of a cable tie down between the partially opened lid and the rear of the trim, and hey presto, it's amazing how you can fish things out..

Old 25th March 2014, 06:27 AM

I'll give the cable tie trick ago when I'm sat on the ferry after work.

This is the gap under my arm rest.

Any recommendations on what I can do with it?
Old 25th March 2014, 06:40 AM

Thats a different setup to the one under my armrests, I am guessing you have the single one. The connectors for the handset are different as well, so not sure what would sit on that.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 25th March 2014, 07:14 AM

Looks like a pretty common Nokia design to me.

For fishing stuff out of gaps I've used various tools, including thin blades, but found that double-sided tape near the tip can help grip the offending object.
My most recent obstruction was a fuel card - Shell Drivers Club to be precise.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 25th March 2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 25th March 2014, 08:05 AM

That's the Audi cradle.. You can get some adapters for iPhones, etc. but they're stupid expensive.

I've fitted two USB connectors to the back of mine and put a double USB charger underneath spliced into the rear lighter socket, works a treat, nice and neat, and you can just push the cables back into the cubby out the way.

I know.. I know..